Low budget vintage preamp or new

I’m new to this hi-fi world and wow wow wow it is so exciting. Been nerding out big time in these forums and am happy to be a part of this now.

I got Heresy IV’s, a McIntosh MC352, a Project S Box and a $50 amazon dilvpoetry preamp. I spent nearly all of the money I have right now besides about $1,300 I saved for a preamp. 

I definitely want a tube preamp, and am looking most closely at the Audio Research LS7 and the Schitt Freya +. Honestly even with the $50 preamp I’m still totally floored every time I turn the system on and do not think I have had a single conversation with anyone in the past couple weeks that did not at some point turn to how dope the hi-fi world is. 

What are your thoughts on the lower end Audio Research amps? I’m a bit nervous they’ll hum, that I’ll need to spend a lot of time and money repairing them, and that they probably won’t work so well when I use my system to play movies, which I will certainly do at times. 

What do you think? Are there other preamps I should be looking at? Thanks so much for your time

128x128oitsliver

I’m a bit nervous they’ll hum, that I’ll need to spend a lot of time and money repairing them, and that they probably won’t work so well when I use my system to play movies, which I will certainly do at times.

Old (vintage) stereo, like old (vintage) automobiles generally need repair sooner than later. And if you are not mechanically inclined, you will have to rely upon someone else to fix it. There is nothing wrong with used. But be aware of the age of the piece. If it is 20 yrs old or older it most likely needs capacitors and a good cleaning. I have bought a lot of used equipment but 10 yr old equipment is my limit on age.
As to the hum, that is usually caused by a ground loop and can happen with any system. Its more dependent on your electrical system. They are usually remedied with a little expense, often a 2 prong AC adapter.
As for movies, there should be no difference except instead of having 5 channels, you have 2 channel stereo sound. Now if you are trying to incorporate a 2 channel stereo with a HT system, that is usually a bad idea. Been there and done that.  Two channel HT is fine with me
Leaning towards the freya+ for sure. And then down the line once I save up some more money I’ll invest in one of the higher tier audio research preamps or something of the sorts. That way if that needs service or repair or whatever I’ll always have the Freya as the backup, reliable and still great preamp to hold me up 
Hi, I have a 200W Perreaux Integrated Amp driving some Shahinian Compass speakers, approx. 6 months ago I was considering a tube pre-amp and in particular whether to go for a 2nd hand Audio Research LS7 or a new Schiit Freya+. In the end I purchased the LS7 and rolled in some NOS tubes... I wasn't able to do a comparison but couldn't be happier with my decision :-)