Looking to upgrade Adcom GFA555: Parasound?

This is my third system.  Honestly, usually used for semi-active or background music.

Speakers are vintage Wilson Watt/Puppy 7.  Source is an Eversolo dac/streamer Into a vintage Classe DR5 preamp.  Amp currently is the aforementioned Adcom: bought it new while in college 40 years ago!  The sound is pretty good, though a bit “small” and closed in.  

Considering replacing the amp with a Parasound A21+.  Thoughts?  Am I wasting my time?

Target cost to upgrade this rig: less than $5K.

Thanks!

bobbydd

Showing 1 response by adg101

Been years since I’ve listened to a GFA 555, and I’ve heard them with the Musical Concepts mods as years past the local Adcom dealer also carried Musical Design. That dealership is still in business and carries Parasound which personally I have not dragged one home, but in the store I have enjoyed them. I’d probably lean to the A21+ with your WP 7’s with the Focal titanium tweeter. I have WP 6’s and with my PASS X250 they sound wonderful together. The Parasound will probably be a great match with the older Wilson’s. Just remembered, the dealer I’m talking about used to carry Class’e too.