Looking For Technicans That Would Rewire A SME V

After a bit of thought and analyzing the current state of the used hi fi market I have come to the conclusion that getting my SVE V updated is going to be my best option for improvement of vinyl playback on my SOTA. The arm board and architecture limit me in tonearm selection, and as I look at the SME it appears to me to still be a solid all around design. After reading a bit it seems that SME most significant update was to fit it with an all silver wire. The serial number indicates mine is from the mid 1990’s, so it may or may not have this done already. It also appears that owners advocate for a single run of wire from cartridge clips to output cable.

I understand SME offers this service and rebuilds the arm. I also know that Alfred at SMEtonearms does so, however he will only rewire with Cardas copper tonearm wire. My arms appearance is in as new condition, and I have zeroed the tracking force and conducted the light puff of breath test and observed the travel though the range, and the light touch of paper to watch the vertical travel, and I see no hesitation in travel. So perhaps the bearings need a cleaning and lubrication, but I see no reason to replace them.

I am looking for a technician or company that will treat my SME V like a princess and perform the rewire. From European owners the wire of choice is Zavfino1877 wire, or perhaps the Audionote UK or Kondo silver wire, although that is reported to be quite a bit stiffer and some have concerns about affecting the travel of the arm.

I know Steve at VAS does a rewire with a Nordost cable that VPI has used in the past.

Other than that I am looking for recommendations on a company to do this. I did contact AudioMajik in the UK but they are full up with Fidelity Research arms to service and have declined. Have searched the web and not seen any recent discussions on this topic either.

Any recommendations?

neonknight

@groovey 

traded a couple of emails with Josh. Appears to be a good egg and I will speak with him in the phone on Friday. I think this will be my choice, just need to locate the tonearm wire now. The US based website does not show the silver Zavfino1877 wire available. 

I owned an SME V since 1990.  I had it rewired by Alfred in 2013 and the work was satisfactory.  FWIW I did ask him to do some other work but not sure anything was done.  In 2019, prior to selling the arm I had Gregory Metz clean and adjust the arm.  This time the work was actually done.  Metz is ClassicThorens and based in TN.  I used the SME/SOTA combo for 30 years with great satisfaction although the SME was replaced by a AMG 9w2 arm which for me was much better.  Good luck on your upgrade.