Looking for recommendations for integrated with a more “organic” sound.

Hello all,

I hope that you are all doing well, and that I might tap into your collective knowledge base and experience to find a new amplifier. 

Current system includes Bluesound Node2>Denafrips Enyo>Dayens Ampino>Zu DW6 Superflys. I stream probabaly 95% but maybe 5% is vinyl or CD. I sometimes use it to watch movies in 2.0, but that’s not my main concern. 

I’m really enjoying the sound of this setup. Very organic with nice harmonic richness. Surprisingly good bass extension and smooth and pleasant highs. Imaging is good. 

What I would like to do is preserve that natural and organic sound, while also adding more inputs (Ampino only has 2) improving bass definition/control and impact, and perhaps elevating detail retrieval. I would trade a bit of smoothness for a bit more HF extension. A basic remote is also on the checklist. 

My budget is maybe $2500, but I’m not in a desperate position, I could potentially stretch it a little if I wait. 

New units are preferred, but I would consider used if it achieves my goals. 
I’m open to SS or tubes, but cost of the tubes is a concern. I’m susceptible to tuberoll-itis. Speakers are pretty sensitive, so mega-watts are not required. 

The system is in a medium sized living room which has 9” ceilings and is open to a kitchen and dining room, so there’s lots of volume. Most listening is at moderate volumes, but I’ve been known to crank it on occasion. Musical tastes are extremely varied. 

basically, I’m looking to maintain the organic tone and natural presentation while improving performance, adding input options (3 minimum) and adding remote. 

I don’t want a DAC, but a better-than-basic phono stage would be a bonus. I’m more interested in performance than features.

Is there anything out there that might fit the bill? 

Thank you in advance for your input. 
Tom

earworm22

Showing 2 responses by lanx0003

Cambridge Azur 851A. Class XD (bet. class A & B). No phono but Stereophile referenced it with Class A traits. It throws a ’sweet’ sounding and ’bouncing’ bass at low volume level in my room compared to my other Class AB Parasound PA. I experienced that quality of sounds also with Accuphase A75 (Class A, $32k new, $15k used). Amazing stuff.

At this point in my listening I could best describe the sound of the Azur 851A as relaxed and enjoyably colorful, in a class-A triode sort of way.

Record after record, the Azur 851A showcased a transparent beauty, and something I can describe only as sonic effervescence. Music had a bubbling, exciting energy that I had never experienced with an audio component at this price level.

Driving the un-broken-in Enzos (review to come), the 851A presented music with deep, deep, well-defined, tuneful bass, elegantly stated detail, and startling dynamics. What a giant-killer match!

the Cambridge Audio Azur 851A is sounding like a modest man’s Pass Labs amp (referred to XA60.5 mono, class A, $22k / pair). I’m talking under $5000 for amp, speakers, and cables that play with the impact, sophistication, color, and refinement of systems costing maybe $20,000 or more.

@chenry and many other

Many recommendations here for Sugden A21 get me interested mainly because of its value proposition. I am always craving for Class A sound. There are several version here: A21 (23 wpc to 8 ohms), A21ai (25 wpc to 8 ohms), A21SE Sig. (30 wpc to 8 ohms; 40 wpc to 4 ohms) and, in particular, their bass performance is sort of mixed bag and distinctive from each other according to the reviews:

(on A21ai) Even at their best, bass detail and drive were never among the A21ai’s strengths (Stereophile)

(on A21SE Sig.) Bass is powerful, controlled (TONE Audio Magazine); What I do wish for is more bass quality - quality, not quantity (6 moons Audio); With this amp, it was not speaker slam I heard but musical bass with air and space around (Audio Beatnik); Sugden miss a little in the bass compared to the Arcam (user feedback) and list goes on and on.

So, the bass performance on the regular A21 seems never being its strong suit and the bass on the more refined A21SE Sig. seems a mixed bag. I was not surprised by that because of the lower rated wattage into 8 ohms and NOT sustaining into 4 ohms (2 ohms is not reported) but wonder what is your listening experience?