Looking for recommendations for integrated with a more “organic” sound.

Hello all,

I hope that you are all doing well, and that I might tap into your collective knowledge base and experience to find a new amplifier. 

Current system includes Bluesound Node2>Denafrips Enyo>Dayens Ampino>Zu DW6 Superflys. I stream probabaly 95% but maybe 5% is vinyl or CD. I sometimes use it to watch movies in 2.0, but that’s not my main concern. 

I’m really enjoying the sound of this setup. Very organic with nice harmonic richness. Surprisingly good bass extension and smooth and pleasant highs. Imaging is good. 

What I would like to do is preserve that natural and organic sound, while also adding more inputs (Ampino only has 2) improving bass definition/control and impact, and perhaps elevating detail retrieval. I would trade a bit of smoothness for a bit more HF extension. A basic remote is also on the checklist. 

My budget is maybe $2500, but I’m not in a desperate position, I could potentially stretch it a little if I wait. 

New units are preferred, but I would consider used if it achieves my goals. 
I’m open to SS or tubes, but cost of the tubes is a concern. I’m susceptible to tuberoll-itis. Speakers are pretty sensitive, so mega-watts are not required. 

The system is in a medium sized living room which has 9” ceilings and is open to a kitchen and dining room, so there’s lots of volume. Most listening is at moderate volumes, but I’ve been known to crank it on occasion. Musical tastes are extremely varied. 

basically, I’m looking to maintain the organic tone and natural presentation while improving performance, adding input options (3 minimum) and adding remote. 

I don’t want a DAC, but a better-than-basic phono stage would be a bonus. I’m more interested in performance than features.

Is there anything out there that might fit the bill? 

Thank you in advance for your input. 
Tom

earworm22

Showing 6 responses by doyle3433

I have a Margules ACRH3 hybrid integrated. IMO has a beautiful organic sound, musical and solid. The MM phono preamp is excellent. It’s been discontinued as Margules has rolled out a new version, ACRH4. 
a couple that have been mentioned I have wanted to listen to, the Sugden, Lebem and PS Audio. I believe all can be found “pre-loved” within your budget.

I will add an anecdote from my own experience. When I picked up my Volti Razz speakers from Greg of Volti, we listened to music well into the night. First it was on a pair of prototype flagship's he has been working on to update the Vittora. A top hifi experience in my life for sure. He switched between Border Patrol power and a Cary SLI80HS. Then we did the same with a pair of Razz. Both power units sounded excellent to my ears. The control, the sweetness and refinement, the musical and open soundstage. What struck me was what I can only describe as the presence of the human voice floating in the room, right in front of me. The chest cavity sound of male voice.. Were there differences between the two amplifiers, sure. But were the differences necessicaily negative, not in my book. As I understand it the price difference between the Border Patrol and the Cary is about $5k.. I was so impressed with the synergy between the Cary and the Volti I ordered my own. I am thrilled I tell ya!

I look at it like this. Would I love to have a Porsche GT3 RS? You bet your sweet ass I would! However what I can afford is a Mazda MX-5 from the 2000's and a Triumph TR6 from the 70's. This does not diminish my enjoyment in the least, in fact I might argue that i enjoy them more since I've wrenched extensively on both of them, and I don't have a panic attack while driving, afraid someone immersed in their phone is going to hit me. 

As my daddy used to say... "It's more fun to drive a slower car quickly, than a fast car slowly". 

Anyway what do I know, I'm just a guy who likes pie. 

@jetter Thank you my friend. My system is always a work in progress and it works for me. Other than the music itself, I really enjoy the process of hunting down, researching and getting to audition gear.

The two prints I have hanging are from my dad’s old office. He was a steam locomotive fan. My brother and I have many fond memories visiting museums and attending train shows with our pop. I believe one is a Berkshire class, the other I can’t remember off hand. I’m not sure if they were considered to be in the big-boy class. You gave me an excuse to do some research!

That's a very good point @tweak1 

I am intrigued by the Technics. I think the 700 and it's bigger brother are fine looking pieces and from what I read, sound wonderful. I've been hesitant to try a class D or any variation, maybe I'm showing my age.. Maybe I'm just sitting on the fence about them until i feel confident that they've worked out all the bugs and are here to stay. 

I am really interested in the PS audio integrated. Price is good too.. may be my way into class D. Apologies to the OP, a little sidebar.

Thank you @dvujovic ! I agree completely on the ACRH3. It really is a solid musical amp. I also heard that slight hiss, I noticed it when no music was playing, and between tracks. I was able to reduce that somewhat by swapping out the stock input tubes. I’m really sort of reluctant to sell it. Just trying to condense my gear a bit. And truth be told, I’m itching for a TT upgrade 😁