Looking for best streamer without DAC under $3500

I currently run Metrum Ambre with Metrum Onyx and really enjoy it, but am looking to upgrade to a better streamer that has spotify among other aps. Currently looking at Lumin U1 mini, Auralic, etc.

Curious what others think
128x128justjames72

Showing 6 responses by guyboisvert

Raspberry Pi + Volumio + Spotify plugin. Total: 125$ including metal case and Samsung EVO Micro-SD card.

Volumio is using standard and ultra-flexible MPD (Music Player Daemon). I’ve used it since many years. It has nice Web interface, and since it’s mpd, i can use any mpd client with it: I have on on my cell, ncmpcpp (shell based) on my Linux laptop, etc.
The raspberry is plugged on my Rega DAC-R and works perfectly. I listen 95% FLAC, 5% online streaming.
@ rbstehno  could you explain us what do you mean by "usb crap" please?  It's just a digital interface and DAC with USB Async mode exists since years...
I've listened to many high end sound systems driven by USB DAC including Meitner and the results were stunning...
I recycled an Atom mini server for my friend and installed on it Debian + MPD.  It is hooked to Ayre QB9, Krell KRC-3, Krell KSA-200s and Dynaudio Speakers: Wow factor is much present!
@sfseay What "break in" are you talking about? The Bricasti is just taking bits on network, de-encapsulate / uncompress the payload and send it out to DAC. It's as simple as that, just digital bits in and out, no more no less.  No

@bfleetwood  Put all on DAC, the streamer just does bits in / out and it provides interfaces for DAC, control and input/output.  The DAC makes the Digital to Analog conversion, not the streamer!
@owl
The computer’s background processes create a ton of noise and so do the power supplies which feed back into your electrical grid.

No noise whatsoever, you don’t seem to understand Analog / Digital and computers.. And your streamer is just... a computer!

Versatile and quiet which is way better than the Mac I used to use - its more settled and quiet

Ha ha ha! "Way better": You had Mac / Software bad setup then!
https://volumio.org/get-started/
Volumio doing great on my Raspberry Pi 3b+ hooked to my Rega DAC-R, below 10% CPU usage for FLAC HiRes playback.  Super-easy setup!

https://www.24bit96.com/hifi-music-server/bitperfect-linux-with-mpd.html
I installed / configured that on an old Intel D510 Mini-ITX board.  Working very very well, below 10% CPU usage for HiRes FLAC playback.  Hooked to Ayre QB-9 via USB.