Looking for advice re: amps for Dynaudio Contour 20i

Hello all. This might be a huge mistake (I don't want to start an internet war), but I find reviews to be less than perfect. Can anyone who actually has Dynaudio Contour 20s or 20is offer any advice on a good amp to pair with them? My budget is $5-$6k. My primary concern is imaging, I am current using a Marantz Model 30 and SACD 30n. 

noob504

Showing 3 responses by noob504

Just to add to this: are vintage Krell and Levinson Class A amps recommendable? I guess the real question I'm asking is, would the performance of such an amp be considered poor compared to the new Class A A/B amps?

Thanks IslandManDan. That's what I'm thinking. I just can't decide whether to spend the $5-6k on a refurbed statement level classic, or go with something like a Levinson 5805 (or maybe used 585). 

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice. akg_ca, last night I was thinking along the lines that you laid out - sort of like high torque / low revs vs. low torque / high rev horsepower; e.g., a 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder with equal power will never feel the same. I just don't know how to read amplifier specs to identify whether an amp is high current. 

I spoke with a salesperson who advised me that if I was unhappy with the sound, it had to be my speakers rather than the Marantz gear. Needless to say, I found myself struggling to give any of his opinions any credibility.