Looking for a GREAT preamp under $2000...thoughts?

I have a system that is mostly from the mid-90's and I'm upgrading it piece by piece. Just ordered the Gallo Reference 3.5's with sub amp, bought a Graham Slee ERA Gold Reflex phono preamp, and found a second NAD 214 amp for extremely cheap on ebay ($100), (so I can bridge it with my current NAD 214). Before upgrading the amp and turntable (Goldring GR2), I'd like to look at doing an upgrade on the preamp. What can I get either used or new for around $2000 that will blow me away? I think it's prefer solid state over tube, but I'm open to suggestions
mountainpics
Check out some of Nightshade's offerings. They're tube but supposed to sound great. He has a forum on Audiocircle
If you can find it the Von Gaylord LAD-L2 is an outstanding preamp and usually fetches about $2k or less used. Add $300 or so for a pair of Shuguang Black Treasure or Psvane CV-181 tubes and take it up another notch in performance. I largely prefer the LAD-L2 to the Conrad Johnson CT5 it replaced. I have read of another user here who replaced his BAT VK-51SE with the LAD-L2. These are both highly lauded $8500 units.

I've used the Bel Canto C5i pre section, which is similar to the Pre3, and while nice it is not in the same league. Same goes for the Placette Passive Linestage and Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE.

I don't want to sound like a fan boy but all Von Gaylord products have been superb in my experience and have taken over most of my system.
The new Rowland stuff looks fantastic, but is damn expensive. I'm going to take a look at everyone's suggestions. Thanks for chiming in.