Looking for a GREAT preamp under $2000...thoughts?

I have a system that is mostly from the mid-90's and I'm upgrading it piece by piece. Just ordered the Gallo Reference 3.5's with sub amp, bought a Graham Slee ERA Gold Reflex phono preamp, and found a second NAD 214 amp for extremely cheap on ebay ($100), (so I can bridge it with my current NAD 214). Before upgrading the amp and turntable (Goldring GR2), I'd like to look at doing an upgrade on the preamp. What can I get either used or new for around $2000 that will blow me away? I think it's prefer solid state over tube, but I'm open to suggestions
mountainpics
I am strongly considering a Bel Canto pre-amp in that price range for SS pre-amp.

For a tube pre-amp, the ARC sp-16 is very good (when the tubes are as well) and can come in well under $2000 used.
I should note that SP-16 has a very good built in phono stage. It requires at least one very low noise 12AX7 tube as the main of the three in the phono section to perform best though.

I don't think the Bel Canto pre-amps come with built in phono, but I could be mistaken.

Built in tube phono sections are best when you play vinyl regularly. For occasional vinyl use, it may make more sense to have an outboard phono section with a tube pre-amp. With SS, tube life is a non issue, so there is less to be concerned with regarding good performance in a tube phono section/pre-amp. Phono pre-amps are very sensitive to noise. Only the best quality tubes and shielding from external RFI/EMI noise will do.
Thanks. I will look into all of your suggestions. WIth the Graham Slee phono stage, I don't need a phono stage on the pre-amp. I checked out an Audio Research SP-14 and LS-5 and Rogue Audio Metis today in person. All sound very good, but the LS-5 wouldn't work with my NAD amps, so I'd have to upgrade those now, as well, and I don't think money will permit that right now. Today was the first time I had heard a tube pre amp, and I don't think I can decide based on a few minutes of listening if that's the way I want to go, or to stick with the SS sound I've known since 1996.
Van Alstine makes a Transcend 8 around 1300 that sounds quite good. Even his cheapest pre's are VERY clear, what u hear is what u got.
One point I want to make is that you can change the timbre of a tube preamp. Rolling in some NOS tubes would make for an open, lush sound. Yes, you will need to spend some time auditioning the AR and the Metis, but it might be worth it.