Looking for a DAC under 2k

I'm using a Small Green Computer Optical Rendu to bring usb to a DAC.
Looking for a new DAC around 2k new or used.

Recently, I had a Border Patrol Se-i which sounded beautiful with a great soundstage and a relaxed sound. Unfortunately, dynamics and bass definition were weak.

Next up, I tried the ifi Pro iDSD. Detailed and clean, but lots and lots of settings to play with. Became noisy after a couple hours and eventually stopped putting out sound and went silent. Can't deal with that kind of poor quality, but really would have prefer a little warmer sound.

I borrowed my Chord Qutest from my headphone system. Very good with my tube headphone system, and not bad on the speaker system, but would like something a bit more analog sounding, like a Border Patrol with dynamic punch and clearly defined, not muddy bass.

TIA, for suggestions.

traudio
I have a Pro-Ject Dac Box RS, and it has been an excellent Dac. Its tube and solid state and they run $1100. I’ve had it for 4 years, and other than just having to replace the tubes for the first time, it been very reliable and the sound is awesome especially for the money
@dsper 
Been there and seen it as well. Lived in China 6 years returned to the US in '14. Totally agree and saw some crazy stuff and these were tier 1 automotive factories. 

The Swiss made Merason Frerot should be on this list. Granted when combined with the POW-1 it is above the 2k mark. 

Another vote for the RME ADI-2. It has a multitude of functions and adjustments so you can get any lively sound you want, store it in memory and use it and others as you wish. 

There's more. DACs have a main use but the RME can also be used as a preamp. Quite a match with my tube monoblocks; no preamp needed and absolutely superb performance. 

Again, there's more. The RME engineers at RME provide free upgrades via their software, adding and improving features which further makes it an insane value. How one calculates all of this, I can't say because individuals have their choices to weigh.

Last, I'll note, the differences in excellent DACs are nowhere near that of an amplifier IMHO. Industry people say this but it's often overlooked. A car will get you to a destination, but not all cars leave it there which perfectly symbolizes the value in the RME ADI-2.

Others like ladder DACs like the Pontus. With that you don't get the RME variability; it's plug and play, thee end. 

Suggest a tryout and comparison so you understand in your own system. Used RME ADI-2 DACs back to the AKM 4490 chip are just as superb. Happy hunting.