Looking at Turntable: belt drive or direct drive?

Hello.

I am thinking about venturing into the vinyl world! I am really stuck on three questions: -direct drive or belt , probably automatic/not getting any younger/

-turn table with or without phono preamp 

-first budget purchase around $1500 or so , but does that give me a  

decent start?

My system:

Rogue Pahraoh II integrated.

Focal Aria 926 

Audioquest cables and interconnects.

Thank you for taking the time.

rockanroller

some of the most highly respected arms have removable headshells.

i.e. SME's 3009, 3012

technics 250

Acos lustre GST-1; GST-801

significant performance compromises is an absurd overstatement IMO, especially for a beginner

some headshells can provide adjustable VTA, far more important than imagined improvement of fixed arm

for a beginner, KISS.

Dear @rockanroller  : How many LPs do you own?

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

@elliottbnewcombjr Sorry, I have owned all three arms to which you refer. 1 & 3 do not fall into the budget category and are not what I would call high performance arms. Moreover they are totally unsuited to moving coils and therefore limit the user if he or she wishes to try different types of cartridge. The SME 3009 with its knife edge bearings is a real old school ’pipe and slippers’ arm that does not do PRAT well at all. The Acos is hardly stellar in that department either. Rega and Project make modern fixed headshell arms which will outperform those listed and give the user more options in terms of cartridge choice and upgradability.

I still own 2 & 3, but when you put them up against a Jelco 750D you realise just how compromised they are in terms of removeable headshell arms.

If you can find a used Technics SL 1200 MK2 that is in decent shape and hasn't been used by a DJ, add one of the Hana or Denon lower cost carts, and get a Parks Puffin phono stage you'll have yourself a pretty decent setup within your limited budget. 

If you like it, then you can start looking at some of the upgrades available from KAB for the SL 1200 MK2 and take it to another level.  Upgrading with MNPCTECH feet will also solidify the sound and improve vibration isolation. 

This is one of many paths you can choose.  There is no absolute "best", just best for you.

Notice I didn't say anything about DD or belt.  I have 3 DD tables and 2 belt drive tables.  I wouldn't start worrying about things like tonearms, other than making sure the table you buy has a decent one that is in good working order. 

I would avoid tables with built in phono stages.  The phono stage is as important (if not moreso) than the turntable and nothing in your budget is going to come with a decent table/arm/phonostage/cartridge all in one.

Just my opinions, for what they're worth.