Long run USB and other questions...

The normal resting place for my laptop PC running Vista requires at least a 30'USB run to hook to my PS Audio DLIII DAC. Apparently, for long USB runs, one can use an "active" cable, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-U042-036-USB2-0-Repeater/dp/B000W0BVTW/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I35XUXEH1EBFGI&colid=3V4SC92K1KEWE
Can someone please provide some wisdom on this. I have no clue what I'm doing. For serious listening, I do about 70% SACD with the rest Redbook. However, for casual listening and background music, I've recently acquired an iPod and I hook it directly to my preamp and I've enjoyed it immensely. Of course, this is not ideal. Since I own a USB DAC (the USB input is only good for 16 bit), I thought I'd move up the quality chain and hook it to the computer. I am using iTunes and I've recorded at 256 kbps (although if I do this, I'd like to try some Apple lossless too). I am not yet ready to move up to the big leagues for computer based listening, although I know I will eventually. Please let me know if the USB cable noted above will work for this application and anything else that I'm missing! Sorry, I love music but I'm a techo-idiot; therefore, please be specific! Thanks so much for your help.
a_steinman
We use NTI and Gefen CAT5e extenders for all our USB, Firewire, VGA, DVI and KVM switches. Works perfectly at 100's of feet!
USB is rated to run only 5 meters but there are USB cables with built in boosters. They run off the power in the USB bus. Typically they claim runs up to 75 feet. Iomega makes one. I have this setup. It is something over 30 feet in length and works fine. I have one regular 5 meter cable and an Iomega amplified cable plugged into it.

You do need a good USB source since it uses a lot of power. Mine is plugged into a powered USB hub which in turn is plugged into my laptop. A desktop computer might be able to power the whole thing without a hub.
I bought the Tripp-Lite active cable that is powered by my HP laptop (36') and it is working beautifully feeding my external PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. This is a great intermediate step for me until I'm ready to go all out. Thanks to everyone for their advice and wisdom! Peace...