list of speakers

My quest which I started three years ago to find my dream speakers resulted in a lot of lists and comparisons. It occurred to me that I had not seen a comprehensive, free and user-friendly databases of loudspeakers and maybe there should be one.  Maybe others would find it useful (although no one is as OCD with lists as I am :) )

Others - meaning my kind - budget, beginner, not advanced audiophiles like you guys. So it may not mean much to you but still, any feedback would be appreciated. 

speakers (speakerchoices.com)

I know it's amateurish - my design skills suck, the only value in it is the data and possibly the search and comparison features. 

Last but not least, and I won't name names not to exclude anyone, thank you people for helping me to put together this web site, with direct feedback and advice over the years about how to find the ideal gear. Several of you also gave me awesome components for which I will be forever grateful. Thank you fellow members!

grislybutter

Showing 5 responses by lanx0003

@grislybutter Great.  Let me expand my preliminary investigation of the SSW index to include all speakers that have polar plots, and correlate them with either reviewers' assessments of the perceived SS width or my own experiences. If you could provide me with the model names column only, I will input the index directly. This way, you can easily incorporate and sort the index into your spreadsheet (assuming it's in Excel), saving you time and effort. You can cross-check the index with your perception to ensure consistency before accepting the data.  You could send the model name column excel to my personal email cjlan01@gmail.com.  Thx. / CJ

Congratulations, @grislybutter! This is excellent work that can benefit everyone here and beyond. I understand you might be in the process of filling in some missing brands and models. In addition to the suggested add-on list from @yogiboy, I'd like to recommend the inclusion of the following audiophile brands:

TAD, B&O, Mission, Qualio, D&D, Cabasse, Devialet

Additionally, fwiw, one critical piece of information appears to be missing from your database. That is the frequency response at the factory or reviewer's measurements at a preset SPL threshold, such as -3dB.   

@grislybutter a lot of information are available on line right at your fingertips.  For example,

TAD Compact Reference One (TAD CR1TX) 

https://www.technicalaudiodevices.com/compact-reference-one-tx/, where you could find general spec. and detailed driver tech aspects.

If specific speakers have been reviewed by credible sources such as Stereophile, you may find specifications and measurement information there.

To determine the regular sale price, you can search 'xxx for sale' on Google if the price is not listed on the official website. Some manufacturers do not list it, allowing dealers the flexibility to set their marketing sale prices. Prices can fluctuate over time, so pinpoint accuracy may not be necessary.

Dutch & Dutch 8c

https://dutchdutch.com/collections/8c-speaker.  For this famous active speaker, the manufacture lists the sale price since it is a direct sale company.  You could find other valuable information in Stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dutch-dutch-8c-active-loudspeaker-system

If you need assistance, I will be more than happy to offer my time to provide additional information for your.  Let me know.

@grislybutter You possess more knowledge in the realm of audiophiles, and you're likely aware of how manufacturers measure and publish frequency response (FR) performance data. I'm uncertain whether they use an acoustic anechoic chamber or send their products to a chamber built to standards for testing. Hence, credible reviewers conduct independent measurements for reporting purposes. For instance, Audioholics has performed measurements in an open space at a certain elevated position to simulate a free-field condition and minimize ambient noise. Stereophile, to the best of my knowledge, tests speakers in an anechoic room, though I'm unsure if it's built to calibrated standards. Andrew Jones, on the other hand, has utilized simulation and modeling programs to calculate frequency response in a simplified, rectangular room, considering the known directional characteristics of the speakers, among other factors.  

The frequency response is a crucial criterion influencing my purchase decisions, which is why I suggest including it. I frequently cross-check with FR data measured and published by credible sources. Occasionally, I notice deviations from the manufacturer's published data. In such cases, I believe it's essential to use your best judgment in selecting the source for reporting and always provide references to avoid any potential misinformation.

I overlook Erin's Audio Corner, whose state-of-the-art Klippel measurement does not rely on anechoic room either as claimed due to the nearfield mic. placement.  Thank you for bringing the spinorama site to our attention.  Yours is still a great supplemental site of it but, as a matter of fact, yours contains more information.

One crucial point I'd like to emphasize is the lack of attention to soundstage (SS) measurement on various audio sites. However, I believe a close approximation can be found in Erin's horizontal/vertical polar plots, which consistently align with the perceived soundstage of speakers I've either owned or auditioned. Consider incorporating this data as a reference to create and report a Soundstage (SS) index. For instance, based on Erin's measurements, the horizontal dispersion range for the Wharfedale Linton I owned is approximately 140 degrees. By dividing this value by the 180-degree plane, a Soundstage Width (SSW) index could be devised, resulting in 0.78. The index would range between 0 and 1, with a higher value indicating a better soundstage. Please let me know if you would like to explore this idea further. I believe it could be a valuable contribution to the good of the community.