Liquid Stylus Cleaners

I know that some of the cartridge makers, including Soundsmith, say not to use liquids and many of you don’t. From a manufacturer’s standpoint, I can definitely understand why - god only knows what some of us dopes (including myself) will be swabbing on there. I have used LP#9 after every side since 2005 when I returned to vinyl, and never had a problem. And I haven’t been surgically careful either. I do use a lighted magnifier to see what I’m doing, but I’ve brushed crap off the cantilever and never had anything migrate into the cartridge or experienced any of these horror stories I hear. So IMO at least, these warnings about liquids are somewhat exaggerated. Do you use them?

chayro

I use a tiny drop of Stylast on a fine artist’s sable size 0 or 00 brush, when required. As I clean all my records on a Keith Monks RCM, I only need to wet clean the stylus rarely. Wet clean the records and the stylus keep clean.

Never tried a liquid product, but I’ve been using the Onzow pad for quite a while now and am very satisfied with results. Amazing what this thing can pull off of a stylus, even after playing a cleaned lp.. and I use the the magnifier to see before and after. I use a variety of contemporary and mid-50’s cartridges/stilli and it cleans them all perfectly.. when reproduction starts sounding like crap, this will pull off even the odd dust hair and restore clarity. I use it before each play and during play as needed. I wash it after each session. 

When my dealer installed my Lyra Kleos he told me not to use the fluid that comes with the cartridge.