Linn Sondek LP-12 happy/un-happy owners

I am considering the purchase of a new LP-12 and I here from both sides. Some say they are forever out of adjustment and they are a terrible TT. The dealer says that the adjustment problem is true of the old but has been resolved. Some owners say that they wouln't have anyother TT. What is the consenus of the AudioGoners that have owned a LP-12?
128x128theo
Patrick aka Lugnut

Apologies if my post was indirectly, unintentionally damning of some of your tastes and preferences, but no need to be defensive. I was just trying to answer Theo's question honestly from my experience with an LP12.

And I am by no means a plug and play guy. I tinkered endlessly with my direct drive machines -- tonearm cables, record clamps, platter pads, changing the viscosity of the dampling fluid in the SME III, tweaking vertical azimuth - you name it.

But my LP12 just never did much for me, and my suspicion and curiosity increased against the background of cult like devotion and brainwashing stories I heard from Linn salespeople while - I mean whilst - living in London.

Again, I think the whole Naim/UK/Linn thing has a very musical, enjoyable style when set up correctly.

But to me it was never quite up to the hype or price tag, at least for new equipment.

If you love your system, that's great and I wish you continued happiness from it.
Not too long ago I auditoned a souped-up LP12 against an equally maxed-out Basis 2001 Signature.

The verdict: Basis 2001 - which was more refined and quieter. The Linn, on the other hand, sounded thin - more like CDs. (I've heard the older LP12s are warmer, albeit, not very balanced.)

But people still buy them! Go figure.

Cheers,
George
I didn't mention it earlier, but I'm currently using a tweaked Lenco L75 too, in a hardwood plinth, swapping between Expressimo RB250, FR64s and Mayware Formula 4. I designed and built the plinth with a removable armboard so swapping arms is a two minute task, whenever I fancy a change.

The Lenco will never win a beauty contest but it's producing the best analog sound I've ever achieved from my system. There's a simplicity and predictability about set-up that I'm really enjoying after years of hit and miss trial and error with the LP12.
re "hit and miss trial and error"

psychological research suggests that variable rewards are much more compelling than a steady predictable payoff

apparently, this explains why gambling is such a vicious addiction and why people stay in abusive relationships hanging on the edge of their seat for a morsel of affection

perhaps this also explains why people tinker with unreliable vintage cars and LP 12s

Theo

I will also confess that, as an AUDIOphile, I love the gear as well as the music.

So fit, finish, ergonomics, rarity, build quality, materials and the silkiness of operation all contribute (or detract) from my pleasure in owning any particular component

Here, too, with no disrepect to Lugnut or any other Linn fans, the LP 12 was never a favourite.

Obviously there is no "consensus." But to add to the fray, if you have not already done so, you should read one man's opinion of the LP-12 at:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Tables.html

I am a VPI owner myself, and don't have an opinion one way or the other regarding the Linn.