Linn questions for novice.

First of all thanks for a great site! I want to buy a used Linn system, but have some questions. I was thinking of purchasing it all used, right here on Audiogon.com. My understanding of Linn is that all components sound the best if they are Linn. That limits me a little when it comes to for example to speakers. I was thinking of a Majik w/kudos tuner module ($650), a Mimik ($500-600) with a pair of Tucans ($ ? ) This would probably serve me OK, but what about the Keldich (sp?) speakers? ($1,000) I was also thinking, by recommendations from my local Linn dealer, to go with a Genki and a LK 85. Comments? Thank you very much!
morty
ElDragon: it seems like you're the Linn man around here :) I read some reviews on audioreview.com and I think I best stick with the Tukans. If I go for the Majik, Mimik/Genki and Tucan combo it's tough to go wrong. If I could find a Genki for $1100 I'd probably buy it. But buying a Mimik for a low price would enable me to sell it later on and upgrading to a Genki. I read somewhere that the Tukans were updated in just the last couple of years or so. Does anyone know what year that was, and what to look for when shopping? Also, what's the difference between the Majik and Majik-I? Does the Kudos tuner module come with most of them? How expensive is it used? The speakers would unfortunatly go in the great room, which is together with the kitchen and is approx. 26'x 29. I know I won't get the best sound in such a large room, but it'll be a lot better than the non-fi I currently own. I'm getting excited! I feel like I'm on a hunt. I remember hearing the Mimik/Majik/Tucan combo 4 years ago, and I'll never forget it. True to Linn's philosophy - once you've heard ours, theirs will sound like noise.
Hi, Morty i am not particulari "Linn man", but at the time i was on the "look-out" just like you, and Linn was only company, that offered the best possible sound, for the money i was willing (able)to spend. And also, i was able to personaly audition the product. I am not aware of any upgrades, that Tukan went through. Also, Kudos tuner, doesn't come with the Majik, and you can find it for about $600(used). It is good tuner, but pricey.I am using vintage tube "Fisher" found on e-bay for less than 200 bucks. Regarding CD player, as i said you can find Karik II for 1K, and if you are to upgrade, just add NUmerik d/a converter, for around 800 bucks, and you would have digital front-end as good as any! I am VERY pleased with Karik(alone)and that is the player i am going to keep, as long as CD's exist. I would like to suggest, for you to find "silver" jumpers (jumpers, they are on the back of the Majik conecting amp with pre-amp, and factory ones are thick copper) The sound with the silver-ones, is much cleaner, transparent....I also have relatively large room, 20 x 15 which is also quite "brite" (wood-floor), which i treated with some heavy curtains, persian rug, bookshelves etc...and i have no problem. One more thing, when and if you get Tukan's make sure that you fill those stands with lead shot (to the top)I tipped mine, few weeks after i bought them, and made dent in one of them what made them "un-fit" for re-sale. Once again, good luck and contact me if you will.
I am happy to see that Linn products are apparently gaining more popularity. I am a sold-out Linn-o-maniac. I started with Tukan speakers, which I was very pleased with. You may be thinking of the fact that there was a previous model called the Kan, which was upgraded to the Tukan in the past couple of years. I found that I was happier using a subwoofer to get enough bass response -- I could not afford the Linn subwoofer at the time, so I used a Mirage which seemed to pair decently. In a large room the bass from the Tukans kind of disappears, but it also depends upon what type of music you listen to. I next went to an A/V system that used the 5140 speakers in the front, 5120 center and the Tukans in the rear, which sounded great. I became so sold on the Linn sound (and so did everyone else that heard the system), that I now have Linn Keltic speakers in the front, with the 5140s in the rear. All the speakers are run in active (I guess I should say Aktiv) mode. I am using Klout amps (to run all these speakers active requires eight amps). For A/V I run everything through the Linn 5103 processor. I am currently looking for an Ikemi CD player. I've moved the Tukans into a second room and plan to set up a second smaller system. I think your initial set-up with the Mimik/Majik/Tukan would be great. Sticking with the more recently introduced products should make resale easier when you upgrade. Although the Karik/Numerik combo may give you great sound at the moment, with the rapid advances in technology, I suspect they will become outdated and more difficult to sell within a couple of years. If you could possibly go up to the Genki, though, I would recommend it. Once the Linn bug gets you, watch out.
I am writing an addition to my previous post. Interesting discussion! Regarding the debate about Keilidhs vs. Tukans, I think the Tukan is more accurate in absolute terms because the combination of the small box and super-fast bass driver reveals great detail and really separates/ unmuddies the notes. The downside is that they are very unsympathetic to poor signal quality so you have to have a good source and amp to make them enjoyable. The same observation applies the the Kabers. In a small space with a good source, the Tukans rock with incredible clarity. Linn has re-introduced a cheaper model, the Kan, that is not so revealing. Personally, I chose the Keilidhs for a several reasons. First, my listening area is too large and would swallow up the little Tukans. Secondly, I have a cheaper CD player (an Arcam Alpha 8) that necessitated a little bit more forgiving speaker, which the Keilidh is. Third, I hope someday to upgrade to a better source and active drive, which will help to improve the bass control. (I guess I'm a little wary of using the Tukans with a subwooofer for music because it would be hard to find one that would keep up with them.) The Keilidhs are also an especially elegant-looking speaker that made a nice addition to the furniture in my living room. When I bought them, I really felt I got my money's worth. Ultimately, I think both models are high quality products. I would have liked to audition Meadowlark speakers in my system, but there was no dealer close by, so it wasn't meant to be. Some other commonly accepted points that I can vouch for: You absolutely have to have the optional granite bases for the Keilidhs to tighten up the bass. Audioquest silver jumper cables really are a good, cheap ($40) upgrade to the Majik. And finally, upgrading the power cord for the Majik can add another increment of improvement. Good luck and have fun. It's exciting to get new equipment and rediscover your favorite music. Every time I get something new, I have a blast going through all my CDs.
I don't buy into the mystique of a "Linn sound" any more than any other brand's sound, or the lore of getting an all-Linn system. Start thinking like that, and it begins to get in the way of honestly evaluating components. Having said that, I've had Linn Sekrits for a few years and just bought a Majik (over Arcam and Acurus competition) to drive them with. (Have a Rega Planar 3 and a mid-fi HK CD player as sources.) The Sekrits are interesting speakers. They're made for on-wall installation (sort of a "lifestyle" arrangement, or as rear speakers), but I have the dedicated floor stands that go with them. The case is of plastic resin and is only about 5" deep. I think most people don't take them seriously as main speakers because of their looks, but they perform very nicely and are incredibly convenient for busy rooms - easy to move if need be, tough as nails, not particularly sensitive to placement. I guess if I have any "lifestyle" requirements at all, those, rather than 'beautiful finish that matches the woodwork in the room', might be it. Haven't heard Tukans, but I would describe Sekrits the same way people describe Tukans -- except I wouldn’t describe the Sekrits as being bass-shy (Linn specs rate Sekrits as having lower bass response). Uncanny how decent the bass is, considering the box has almost no volume. I don’t understand it. The Linn stuff I have sounds “neutral” to me. Is that the Linn sound? Everybody has his own idea of neutral. Nothing seems forced or out of place with the Majik, the clarity and smoothness are impressive. I could see some thinking the sound is thin. There’s a lot of that elusive quality of “life” in the music -- very refreshing. I had extra speaker wire, so bi-wired the Sekrits. To me, it helped with slightly more clarity and definition on top end with resulting more spacious (again, slightly) sound. I like to be skeptical about such things, but was tired from playing with interconnects so didn’t go back and forth to self-validate what I was hearing with biwiring. I just left it bi-wired, since it didn’t cost me anything. Question: Has anyone compared the LK85 and the LK140 amplifiers? Would be interested in comments.