Linn LP-12 still competitive with the very best?

Hi folks, I wonder if the Linn LP-12 is still competitive with the best offerings from Avid, VPI, TW Acoustics, Teres, Galibier and Transrotor. If that is the case, then it's cheaper to go for a LP-12. What are the weak points of the LP-12? Which tt is better: the Thorens TD124 or Linn LP-12?

Chris
dazzdax
Mapman to say that you have no need to explore another table is fine, if your satisfied with the sound of the one now being used. I say now has I did over 20years ago the Linn is then and now superseded by better designs.
"the Linn is then and now superseded by better designs"

Wouldn't surprise me after 20+ years.

Its still a classic and a long time reference standard though!
I doubt if many people still believe that the LP12 is the "best" even if it ever was. But i always wanted one because every review that i read seemed to describe the type of sound that i was looking for and whilst expensive it was not totally out of the realms of affordability. I prefer a presentation that sounds like music to me even if it is not absolutely accurate. I am not a musician and i never listen to classical or jazz but on rock/pop/blues and folk the LP12 gives a convincing impression of a live event, unlike any CD player that i have heard. Like Mapman i bought an Axis (all i could afford) which has served me well for nearly 20 years. It too has a lifelike sound to me, but to a lesser degree. I have had an LP12 now for over 3 years and love it. It is by no means the latest spec. but sounds so good that i dont feel the need to upgrade it. I think Linns upgrades are ridiculously overpriced. I do tend to buy things and keep them for a long time anyway. If money was no object then i would probably have something other than a top Linn but i would would certainly audition one just to see where it stands against others.
I think Linn is predictably trying to play it both ways with their expensive upgrades.

1) Their tables are a well established reference standard, for better or for worse, for many, so they keep it unchanged and market that. Who can blame a company for keeping their flagship product around?

2) There's lots of money to be made selling upgrades to the long time reference standard as well, so they gladly do that as well.

Nothing strange here that I see.
Schipo, give it rest already.

Lrsky, your stories are wonderful -- keep them coming! I wish there was a way to create a thread for you, which didn't allow comments, which you could add to whenever you like.