Liked the Nautilus 805 but found better?

I really, really like my 805s, but, alas, the bass. I'm looking for those that fell in love, and then found something better. Opinions on the 804's have been mixed. I cant see them being $1500 better than the 805. any and all suggestions appreciated.
gthirteen

Showing 6 responses by sagger

Gthirteen: I think you know deep down that there is no moniter in the world that's going to give you the deep bass your looking for. Let's face it, physics don't allow. I own a pair of Sonus Faber Electa Amatours. Although they go as low as just about any moniter can, it still not enough. I wound up getting a REL Stadium II which integrates perfectly & allows my system to produce a full range sound. They can be had used for around $1700, but are hard to find. If that's too much you may want try the model below.
Gthirteen, the EA's will go lower than the 805's. Although they are rated to go down to 40hz, they still are not going to give you that true full range sound your looking for. No moniter will except for maybe perhaps the Extrema. Trust me, your gonna want a sub with the EA's. If you don't want a sub, get a larger full range speaker with perhaps a small footprint if size is a concern. A sub actually worked better in my situation. It eliminated an annoying mid bass hump I was experiencing with other full range speakers.
c'mon Gthirteen...read these posts. How many times have the REL's been mentioned? There's a reason for that. They are really one of the very best subs out there. They will integrate seemlessly & have many models in all price ranges. REL will even provide a recommended setting for the 805's specifically. NHT sub??? Do the 805's justice. Get a REL.
Sure Gthirteen...maybe you would like to buy you Porche & perhaps a vacation home. Lighten up for gods sakes. I'm just trying to help you out here. Look, I'm not trashing NHT. I think some of there products are pretty nice (in particular the 3.3's) However, IMHO I don't think the NHT2pi is up to the 805's standard. That's a complement to your speakers. IMHO the SF GP's are more for home theator than 2 channel. I happen to think your preamp is excellent & don't understand why Steve (whoever he is) would say they are finicky with tubes & ornery. I happen to use the PV8 in a second system with no problems at all. In addition I know two guys that have & love the PV11, again no problems of orneryness or finickyness. You never did say... so how about letting us know how much you want to shell out. Than maybe we could be of more help.
O.K. I'm with ya Gthirteen...Your gonna think I'm crazy, but I actually like the way the CDM1SE's sound over the 805's. Of course even though I did listen to them the same day, they were in two different systems & rooms. 805's with Krell separates, cdm's with a Mcintosh intergrated. So I would say the 805's had the advantage in electronics. Anyway, maybe the CDM's with a REL sub??? Just thought I'd throw it out there for ya.
Hey Gthirteen: Did see the Merlin VSM's for $1500 on this sight? I think that will give you everything your looking for at a great price. No sub needed & in IMHO betters the 805's by far.