Legacy Wavelet as Preamp/DAC/DSP vs just DSP

I am upgrading from a Legacy Focus SE to a Legacy Aeris and Wavelet system. Many folks tend to use the Wavelet as an all in one and end up walking away from thei preamp and DAC separates. I’m skeptical of doing that, as I love my PS Audio Directstream DAC and Modwright LS 36.5 DM preamp. I can’t imagine the Wavelet would beat those.

I’d love to hear others’ journeys with the Wavelet. Did you find it bested your preamp and DAC? Did you end up using it just for your DSP? What preamp, DAC and cables did you use it with, and what did the A/B tests reveal?

Also, has anyone used it only to process the bass section only and used the rest of the output straight from the preamp? Is that even possible?
Thanks for sharing. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xblisshifi

thanks, steve.  really interesting stuff.  don’t know the reviewer, but he has certainly surfaced some good options.  my biggest concern is really availability (ala HDPlex) and having somebody reliable provide a simple umbilical solution.  will be talking to the Plixir folks, who might be a good one-stop option.  will let you know where I end up.

Hey mitchel, any updates on what you've found.

I've been in touch with Legacy re power supplies and they report one of their Wavelet owners is using this:

https://ferrum.audio/hypsos/

I ordered the Aeris along with the Wavelet a few weeks ago. My greatest concern over the purchase of these speakers is the compromise I may have to deal with my DAC. 

My integrated does not have any preouts. My DAC, as I understand, will have to input into the Wavelet and possibly get another digital to analog conversion. The DAC is the Allnic D10000 and is the cornerstone of my system.

Bill Duddleson offered to build me a 'box' that will use the speaker outputs and convert them to XLR inputs bypassing the Wavelet saving the purity of the DAC to the mids and tweets. 

I'm sure there's something I'm missing here thus the post is aimed at the experts here.

Checking in on this thread to see how folks' experience is. I continue to prefer my system with the Wavelet II and the Vivaldi stack, together, even though that involves an extra ADA round trip. When I run the Wavelet as my DAC, the system is still excellent, but seems a bit less organic. Yeah, I know, audiophile buzzword. but it's the best I've got.

Bill Duddleson offered to build me a 'box' that will use the speaker outputs and convert them to XLR inputs bypassing the Wavelet saving the purity of the DAC to the mids and tweets. 

I'm not clear on what this means. Bill's a super-smart guy, so maybe this is obvious to him, but wouldn't this mean bypassing room correction in the Wavelet as well? I would love a way for my Vivaldi DAC to "replace" the DAC segment of the Bohmer, if everything could stay in a single digital domain, but I doubt that's a real possibility. My Valors require the preamp/crossover function of the Wavelet for now [short of a custom xover], so I can't get away from the Wavelet entirely [and don't really want to anyway].

Another reason I would love to have this option, is that I want to try some Trinnov gear ahead of the Vivaldi to see how that compares to the Bohmer.

Interesting thread since I am also a recent owner of the Wavelet II for my Focus XD speakers. Running the VAC Renaissance 70/70 amp on top. I found that if you send Ed at Legacy an email with your wavelet Serial number they can look up your sweeps and give you assistance on getting it right. It took me several tries but we got it sounding really good. I have now acquired a HDPlex LPS and waiting for the Ghent Audio DC umbilical cord to arrive to power the wavelet II. It take 2-3 weeks to get.