KT88 for McIntosh MC275 mk.IV?

I've had Psvane black bottles for 11 years and liked them. At the time they were a clear improvement over stock tubes. I purchased 5 and rolled them quarterly, anticipating one will eventually fail, which happened. A second one has now failed so I need new tubes. These were probably used up already anyway.

The amp is currently used for midrange (300 to 1200Hz) amplification in an active system, so the frequency extremes aren't most important.

I'm looking at Genalex Gold Lion and Psvane. Any experiences that can help me decide?

I could buy 5 Gold Lions and spend $500, or buy 4 Psvanes for $500 and use the remainibg 2013 Psvanes as back up in case of failure.

Thank you!

lewinskih01

Showing 1 response by serblinfan

I've always considered Gold Lions as very reliable but of the four tubes I bought a year ago, two have already failed. In a friend's system, one failed - they were all purchased more or less at the same time. I hope that was just some unlucky batch and the next ones will be fine because I really like the sound. Anyone else have had problems with Gold Lions recently?