Krell v. Theta

Who builds a better preamp? I am mostly interested in music but also do HT about 15% of the time. I have Krell FPB 600 pushing B&W Nautilus 801 speakers. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
marcvictor
If your main concern is music, don't get either one. Get a good two channel pre amp with bypass capibilities and a inexpensive AV processor. Even the cheapist AV processor has the same chips for decoding DTS and DD as the big boys and do just as good a job.
I had a Casablanca II with extreme DACS and just about any two channel pre amp I had beat it for music. Remember, AV processors are computers with volume controls, not true preamps.
I would not overlook the Bryston SP-1.7 it performs very well for a one-box solution. It is very flexible and contains a totally independent analog preamp. By my standards it was the best Processor for two-channel that I auditioned. I was budget limited to less than about $4000.00 though. So that ruled out some, but most of those, I have at least some experience with, and I dont think the Bryston gives up much if anything with two-channel.

Having said that, I do agree that a stand alone preamp offers the best possibility for two-channel performance. That shouldnt be overlooked as well, if you dont mind two boxes and integration difficulties.
Thanks for the great responses! I think the two preamp suggestions are good. However, I am concerned about integration difficulties. Can you guys recommend a good 2 ch. preamp for music with an HT preamp that work well together?
I believe the Audible Illusions L2 line stage has an A/V passthrough. I'm not entirely sure how this is implemented but I asked my salesman in passing and he said, ya, sure, that would work great. The L2 retails at approximately $2300.00 new.

Anyone with an L2 that can comment on how this works?