Krell S-150M Mono Blocks

Anyone have any first-hand experience with these? I saw something in TAS about them being solid state amplifier of the year...??

Thanks in advance.

_Ben
2chnlben
Thanks Richard, I appreciate your input. I remember hearing great things about the FPB series...boy, they are massive!

The first thing I am going to do, is to take my Class-D amp to the dealer and compare it with the Krell (my dealer will have an S-275 in after the holidays). I have read that even the newer Class-D amps (which my GCC-250 is not...it is circa 2005, with an ICE-based design) give up some latitude in the upper frequencies and are said to be less open and airy (i.e.: three-dimensional)…even grainier than their solid state counterparts. If I do not hear more than a very subtle difference, I will gladly save my $5,500. If I hear the kind of difference that I did when comparing the new McIntosh MC-203 (SS) to the Krell Evo 402e, then I will definitely consider the purchase. In that comparison, the difference between the Krell and the Mac (not really a fair comparison considering the Krell costs more than three times what the Mac does) was literally night and day…the Krell providing so much more detail, clarity and openness in the upper frequencies, and noticeably better controlled bass. This very discernable difference was exciting to me.

I have no idea how my PS GCC-250 will fair in comparison with the smaller Krell (and even the Mac MC-203), but I am anxious to find out. In the mean time, I really appreciate input from my brethren A-Goners!!

Merry Christmas Richard…

_Ben
HI Richard,
I also have a Krell 3250 which I use to power the front channels in my 5.1 system. Since this system has dual self-powered subs, I really don't use the 3250's low end. But, I do like the amp a lot. My HT system uses B&W 805S and its varients. These are good speakers and seem to get along with the 3250 very well. I think the 3250 was a hell of a deal.

Sparky
Hi 2chnlben

I'm on almost exactly the same route as you. Having had a brief encounter with an S-275 at a dealer I intend to have a home demo. My speakers are Harbeth Super HL5s; driven by the S-275 at the dealers they sounded better than my home system where they are driven by Alner-Hamblin SA-400 monoblocks (class D tripath 1.25Kw each). Specifically I found the top significantly better in terms of air and transparency, while the bass was similar in quality and speed. I also intend to audition the Bel Canto 500ref monoblocks to see how much better current class D amps sound.
I'd be very keen to hear the results of your audition.

David
David:

Indeed, we are on a very similar quest!

After being prompted by my dealer, who recently picked up the McIntosh line, I went in to hear the new Mac MC-302. As a reference, we were comparing the 302 to a Krell Evo 401e (certainly not a fair comparison, but an excellent reference). The Mac is so darn cool looking (and built like a tank) that I was hoping I would like it. The difference between the 302 and the Evo 402e however, was literally night and day. The upper frequencies were presented so much better via the Krell (as was the bass) that I immediately decided against the Mac. Unfortunately, the Evo series is out of my budget range.

Now, I don’t image the S-275 is going to compete with the bigger (and more expensive) Evo amps, but if it sounds anywhere near as good as the 402e, then I am going to seriously consider buying it. Next week I am going to take my amp (PS Audio GCC-250 – class-D) into my dealer and do a little “shoot-out” with the S-275, the Evo 402e, my amp and the Mac. I’ll post my findings, so stay tuned.

I too will appreciate learning about your findings. Please do post your comments or feel free to email me via the members section.

Thanks.

_Ben
I have two KRELL S275's; I use one for my HT center channel (bi-amped) and one for right and left rear channels. I use two Krell EVO600e's for right and left front channels. The S275's replaced a Krell 3X250 AMP. The S275 sounds much, much better than the 3X250; cleaner, clearer, faster, more detailed, more dynamic and life-like sound. Since I do not use the 275's for music, I cannot comment on 3 dimensional sound staging. I like the S275's very much. Although they are not in the same class as the EVO amps, their sound is similar. I think they are terrific amps, much better than previous equivalent Krell class amps (3X250). If the EVO amps are out of your price range, the Krell S275's deserve your consideration. I don't think you will find anything better in its price range. Krell is very, very good at building great amps and pre-amps (Krell is among the best, if not the best electronics company in the high end audio business-check out Martin Collom's review in HiFi Critic on Evo 402 and 402e).
What pre-amp and speakers will you be using?