Klipschorn: Still relevant??

I'm interested in stirring the pot which is my current system. Please see my system for more details but, in summary, I'm conteplating moving from a Cary beam power/triode & Von Schweikert VR4JR based system to a SET/Klipschorn system.

In general, would you consider the move to be "better" or just different. Or worse?? Better being defined as higher fidelity for most types of acoustic music.

Really curious. Your opinion matters! I have to buy most of my equipment without hearing it and have to rely on reputations, opinions, reviews, etc.

Thanx
pawlowski6132
hi

Onhwy61 said

" Larry510, is it possible for you to imagine that some people have listened to Klipsch (Heresy, LaScala, KHorn) speakers and didn't fall in love with them. Maybe they wanted a speaker that went deeper in the bass, or one that soundstaged with more front to back depth, or possibly a more refined treble range, or even a less forward midrange. Just try to imagine."

Yes it is possible for me to imagine that. Klipsch speakrs have a "house sound" that's not for everyone. But the same can be said of every manufacturer, some people love B&W, others like Silverline and on an on. I've listened to a large number of high end speakers at audio shows and friends homes. I never had anything bad to say about any of them. Klipsch just fit my needs better.

What irks me is how some people disparage a company or speaker without listening to them. I guess this is based on the fact that they are perceicved as "old technology". All I can say old is not always bad or inaccurate or low fidelity.
"You didn't raise my blood pressure. I just thought the implication in your post was not well thought out."

I can't argue with that, a lot of what I do isn't thought out.

Old isn't bad if you enjoy them. I listen to LPs. They are better than all the efforts of modern technology.

My point was that among the poeple I know, the name Klipschorn isn't ever mentioned. Nobody I know even considers them. I'm not saying they aren't a quality speaker, but just answering the question "still relevant?" - not in my admittedly little world.
Okay, it's been fun reading. My 2 cents is there could be better speakers out there, but if you're knocking K-Horns, you have more money than brains. How could anybody not like the Klipsch Heritage line? They are clear as a bell and life-like - at least with rock, orchestra, blues. I hear this stuff written to the critics about "not set up right." Well, if you can't pretty much "plug and go," there's an equipment problem. I bought my $700 used pair of Cornwalls 20 years ago (used). The guy was running a mediocre Marantz receiver through them (probably 70-80 watts/channel). They were loud and garbled. My brother had LaScalas and told me "take the Cornwalls - the seller's Marantz could not do them justice." I did. I matched them up with a Crown Microtech 1200 (clean, powerful PA amp). Those "little" Cornballs are poppin' loud and clear. When you give 'em a little push, the sound will literally move the hair on your arms and still be as clear as a bell. I've had a few friends get scared flames were gonna pop out from the amp. That's how loud they'll go - and they are very, very clear. It all sounds good through them. Santana, Rush, Steely Dan, Chicago, The Who, ELO. If your Klipsch Heritage line sounds bad, your amp sucks... period! Change the amp, not the speakers.
To me a great speaker is a great speaker, no matter when it was made, same with an amp, turntable etc.

I have had my Khorns for 10 years and enjoy them very much, especially with tubes.

What they do, no other speaker does, is it the be end all etc ?? or the only way to go ?? of course not.

Everytime I fire them up, I say to myself, well done Mr. Klipsch, very well done indeed.

So are they still relevant ?....I think so.
I am a Magnepan guy. There I said it. But the first thing that I will buy when I build my home addition next year, which is really just a meadia room, is a pair of Klipschorns, and some McIntosh gear to drive it. What a great sound, best rock speakers ever built. I will keep my Maggies, maybe even move up to the holy grail of the 20.1's, but I have longed for the Klipschorns for years, and can't wait to get them. So I will have a 2 dedicated 2 channel systems that sound completely different? So shoot me. These are still a great speaker, as are Tannoy's, the old Bose 901's, AR1 - 3, Quad 57's, 63, 988, 988. In a subjective hobby such as this some iconic items retain their luster because they earned their accolades. Would anyone not want to drive a perfectly kept 63 Corvette, or mid 60's Astin Martin?? That's a better analogy.