KEF LS50

Don't post often here but thought I would let you all know I stumbled on a pretty amazing performer in this little monitor.

I would say the midrange is on par with my Harbeth 40.1, treble has a tad more leading edge bite than the best soft dome but its a really good top end that never gets nasty. Dynamically they are performing way better than they should. I'm betting they would compete with the new 30.1 sonically, just a guess.

Have them running with 20X price electronics in a small office and they are not outclassed in any way. Made me want to keep throwing my best gear with them they sounded so good.

If you are in the market grab a pair, you will not regret. Saw two pair this morning for sale for around 1K, I can't think of anything in 20 years offering this much performance for 1K. You could build a world class non-full range sound around these.
petland
Larrybou. My pair took 150 hours before they sounded totally broken in. Play them as much as you can before the 30 day period ends. They will get better.
Johnvb - What improved about them as they broke in? They're already sounding somewhat rounder on top and I'm starting to get hints of surprisingly good bass. Imaging, soundstage and coherence are all strengths so far. So good in fact I'll be a bit torn sending them back.

But I tend to value scale and non-fatiguing presentation highly which are shortcomings. Timbre also but it's better than expected. How do you see things improving?
At the 30 hour point on mine I was right there with you. I had never owned a metallic drivered speaker before (these replaced modded Maggie MMGs) and thought this might had been a big mistake.

The biggest improvement is that metallic sound goes away, and smooths out greatly. It still has a lively sound, but I don't find it fatiguing at all. Really impressed on how percussion sounds on these, compared to the MMGs.

Of course while they were breaking in, I was also playing around with positioning and toe in. Started with extreme toe in aimed at the chair, now have reduced that to about half. So that probably has helped.

The bass has become less boomy, obviously due to the design, it is not going to be as strong as a floor model. I plan on running dual subs with these, but for the breakin period, leaving the subs (ceiling IBs) off for now.
They're getting better and better. I'm finding the music more engaging and even notice my wife singing along to the music. Put on the Brandenburg concertos before heading to the home theater room to watch a film we were waiting to see.

The music was so engaging it was hard to tear myself away. The overall presentation much improved but I'm afraid even after full break in it will still be to bright and revealing for my taste. Most people seem to like this these days, but I prefer a warmer/musical/non-fatiguing sound even at the expense of "accuracy" or every last detail. It's the overall presentation I enjoy.

Hey I never claimed to be an audiophile - I just music that sounds "right" to me. Why that should require a huge monetary investment now that recorded music has been around for nearly 100 years is beyond me.

But the value and virtues of the LS50 are revealing themselves - no question.

1) I can see that having the wrong electronics (read brighter less expensive) will make these punishingly bright.

2) It's clear so far that tubes will make these sing (still waiting for my Cary SLP 98).

3) Despite a bright presentation - these ARE musical speakers.
You don't have to buy new stands to try placing the speakers lower and see what that does. Just set them on any readily available household object that offer a sturdy platform. Milk crates or even a stack of books can work well. You can also then try tipping them upwards a bit if desired, by raising the fronts relative to rear. Just place a tightly rolled up dish rag or towel under the front bottom.

Speaker location and orientation relative to listener makes all the difference with box designs that tend to be more directional in nature.

If all sound balanced tonally but fatigue persists, then consider AC power conditioning or a decent power cord upgrade with noise control designed for the digital source as a next step.