KEF LS50... The ultimate anal-ytical speaker for living rooms?

I am looking for a VERY revealing with razor-sharp imaging type of bookshelf,  but not the cost of TOTAL loss of musicality.... In other words, not necessarily full range, but at least balanced - not something that starts to roll-off at 200hz... They would be listened to mid-field, 6-7ft away in a somewhat open space.  Could it be the ls50, or is there anything else around their price-point? Thx for suggestions...
128x128chrisr

Showing 1 response by cacophonix1984

I don’t know much about what analytical sound is. I just play some of my favorite music in store when I can, and then look for my emotional reaction to the sound.

I listened to a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs powered by the entry Primaluna tube amp at a store in San Jose called the Analog Room, and then a pair of Harbeth 30.1s powered by a more powerful Prima Luna amp, and was totally captivated. I listened to Kind of Blue (near,y the whole album), and Dire Straits’s eponymous album. Both sets sounded quite wonderful with the same music. For the size, and independent of the size, the sound from the tiny P3s in the store was quite unbelievable at all volumes.

The very next week, I bought a pair of used Harbeth 30.1s for 3500 dollars, and am very happy, in an empty wood floor living room. They are currently paired with a used (750 dollars), Peachtree Nova 220SE.

I also own a pair of KEF LS50s on isoacoustic stands which I have been enjoying for circa nine months with a Naim Nait 5si. They are being shipped from India and I should soon be able to try them side to side with both the amps.

Do look at Harbeth.