Kef 201/2 your impressions and comparisons

Been listening to these KEF 201/2 at local dealer several times. I think they sound amazing. Also love the fact that it is a 3 way design. They were played on Cayin A100T which I also have at home and the sound was detailed,snappy, and dynamic.
I know these have been around a while so was curious to hear from owners. I am assuming when you bought them you loved em. How has your impressin held up over time?
Also what's better in the range.
I have in the past few years owned Paradigm S2 v3, Usher BE 718 (still have) , Paradigm S4 v.1, Dynaudio Focus 140. I think I like the KEFs better than all of them.
mofojo

Showing 2 responses by whitecap

Interesting that the OP found the 50W Cayin A100T had enough juice to drive the KEF 201/2. I have had a pair for about two months and found it a difficult load to drive. They like power and high current, with lots of reserve to maximize dynamics. When I switched to Pass X250.5, the 201/2s snapped to life. The 201/2 puts out a very clean and hall forward presentation. Bass, however, is not a standout feature of the 201/2, and I use them with a sub (but then, IMHO, all monitors need a sub). I am currently A/B'ing the Linn Akurate 212 (a super monitor that plays huge and musical) and the KEFs. I still can't quite get used to KEF''s uni-q tweeter -- its not that I don't like it, I do, but at times (i.e., with some recordings) it gets a bit hard/fatiguing. That said, I'm liking the speaker overall.

Ah, my error on the the Cayin power rating (I read the specs too quickly). I am not familiar with the amp, but your experience speaks well of it.

Good luck with the 201/2. I'm running a JL F112 with them. Keep adjusting and you'll get them synched with the sub. We too listen to a lot of rock and metal (including lots of live material). I use an external crossover and have the high pass to the 201/2s at around 120 Hz, to take the bass load off the 201/2s and free them up. At that XO, the 201/2 with the sub is delivering really strong mids and upper bass, and lots of slam, all the while delivering it clearly and sweetly. I do, however, wish the speakers had a bit wider dispersion, as we do not confine ourselves to the sweet spot.