Kef 107 vs 107/2

I recently a pair of KEF 107's with a Kube. I drive them with a McIntosh MA6500 integrated (which could be slightly underpowing them in demaning passages). Now I am curious how they compare to the 107/2. Is the 107/2 much of an upgrade, and if so, how or in what area?
stollenwerk32e5a
See the KEF website for more information. They have a very nice historic archive. And do contact them with your question - they helped me with info on my set of KEF C55 monitors. Very nice guys indeed - spoke to the manager at HQ!

Regards,
Dewald Visser
I think a upgrade to a seprate power amplifier would be a better Idea and keep the 107. As I remember them they need some good clean power
I have owned a set of the 107/2 since 1992, and compared the 107 and 107/2 in the same system at the time of purchase. I thought the 107 and 107/2 had a very similar overall sound, although the 107/2 was somewhat more transparent in the upper frequencies. Overall, I thought the major weakness of the KEF 107 was that it was a little dark, and the 107/2 reduced (but did not eliminate) that weakness.

While the MA6500 is a fine integrated amplifier, I have found that the 107/2 like a lot of power. My recommendation is keeping the 107s and upgrading to a more powerful amplifier --- the McIntosh power amplifiers with autoformers work great with the KEF 107/2, and I suspect would be a very nice match for the KEF 107. If you find that the McIntosh autoformered power amplifiers (which lean a little to the polite side) and KEF 107 are not lively enough, a Bryston 4B SST would also work well.
last time i enquired about the 107 - 107/2 upgrade at doug brady's ( warrington ) it was £650 and doug was sayin the difference is not worth the price so i didn't bother

i have had my 107's for over 15 years and they still make me want to listen :)
i use meridian amp/preamp and the seem to compliment the kefs quite well