Just upgraded to Fiber Optic feed ( 500Mbps) from Spectrum (250 Mbps) OMG

I just wanted to let everyone know, I just got fiber optic service into our neighborhood. The glass fiber feed into my home instead of Spectrum’s copper feed (for the last twenty years) is like night and day thru my Main stereo system. The sound quality is like a veil has been removed from my LUMIN T2 streamer/dac. 

I have paid $100 per month for 300 Mbps with Spectrum - throttled back constantly to 200 Mbps. My new provider in SC - Upcountry Fiber costs $60 per month for 500 Mbps -  currently getting 590Mbps.

God Bless competition!!

there is even visual improvements on my 4 K Sony TVs.

if you have access to hard wired glass fiber - grab it!

Happy Listening

tom8999

What would be the mechanism for increased quality?  For video, increased bandwidth could increase bitrates.  But I don’t see that applying to audio, nor to be needed.

@tom8999 The bldg I live in was wired with FO several years ago. The modem/router they supplied performed quite poorly, so I immediately upgraded to the Calix combo when my provider offered it. It greatly improved the audio/video signal delivered to my system. For reasons irrelevant to this discussion, I could not use the Calix in my condo. Having experienced firsthand just how significantly the modem and router affected my system, I auditioned 4-5 different setups. There were massive differences in performance among them, but the Calix ran a very close second to the one I chose. Had the Calix met our other needs, I would have kept it, as our ISP offered it without a rental fee.

H CE 1 - Thank you for your reply. As I previously said - I am not an EE, but the improvement in my sound quality is obvious to my ears and multiple friends that have heard my system since I upgraded to the Calix modem/router. My system is more than capable of revealing this improvement (hard wired via Ethernet to LUMIN  T2 - Krell K 300i - Maggy 1.6qr modified by Peter Gunn and The Swarm subwoofer system)

As jji666 said - I do not understand the mechanism for the better sound quality - I always thought ‘bits are bits’. Just getting them faster should not improve the sound. This is not the case however - my Jazz vocals are better (Carly Simon on Torch, Dianna Krall on any album), I get better instrument separation, cleaner horns, better and tighter bass, the sound stage is larger.

I am ‘over the Moon’ happy with these improvements. The changes are real.

Happy Listening

Ha

Well I have optimum minimum wifi 14.95 a month because I'm lower income ...and it works fantastic.. no problems streaming movies.Youtube music ,concerts.