Just received shipment of my Magnepan LRS’s

Yesterday I took delivery of my Magnepan LRS’s. I am powering them with a Rogue Audio Sphinx 2 through Stealth Audio MLT speaker cables. Sources are a Rega RP6 and an Oppo BDP 105. I know that these speakers have a long way to go to break in, but what great soundstaging, decay, depth and lifelike imaging. Can’t wait to see how they are doing in 6 months. This is my 3rd set of Maggies and I am tickled to have their sound back in my home.
thomasj

Showing 8 responses by gammonit_2000

I haven't read the article but someone who had said 81 dB efficiency vs. posted 86 dB?  Also something about a big frequency dip? 
Whether tweeters are outside or inside, the tweeters should be further from you than the bass section.  I have mine with tweeters on the outside but realistically with toe in it would be close either way.  I suspect the brightness is you hearing more tweeter on inside puts them closer to you which is not what Mag recommends.
I may be generalizing, but in a smaller room tweeters to the outside, and in a larger room, try both ways.
Just read the Stereophile review.  Apparently Herb R. did the testing with tweeters to the inside, and in a small room.  I would think the toe in angle would have to be severe in that case to get the tweeters further away from you.  Some very odd measurements as well on the frequency response.  Too bad too nobody dares to add a couple of subs to the mix, then cries about the missing bass.  I think I'd rather hear how they sound with a couple of REL T5s oh wait that's my set up.  At least he mentioned a sub or two in passing, while comparing them to literally a half dozen other speakers...
I'm not saying you are wrong, but when you get into defining success as only one approach, it seems a bit limiting.  I am new to Magnepan ownership so my definition of seamless may not be the same as yours.   As I listen to the LRS with the two REL T5 subwoofers fed off of monoblocks, with the subs directly behind the speakers and close to the wall, it sounds pretty seamless to me.  Occasionally there are some odd effects but for the most part the subs are more than additive.  My theory at least is the 8" fast subwoofer with downfiring isn't "competing" with the LRS by firing horizontally.  Further, a bigger subwoofer in this application will do zero and make for that more difficult integration.  I did speak with Eric @ Mag and he pretty much agreed with my assessment as to subwoofer choice in this case.  If Wendell wants to limit the subwoofer choice to one, then I guess that's his call.
@bdp24

Well I am too naively integrating these new LRS with a couple of REL T5s.  I didn't realize they weren't properly working and there is no hope of them ever supplementing the bass properly with the LRS.  What am I missing here, I can't listen to the LRS with no subs, and no subs other than some fancy build your own subs will begin to work.  I am sniffing some BS here.  Help me.

"there's an unsubstantiated rumor that Magenpan may be developing a dipole sub of its own design to complement these"
NOW it all ties together.  There's always a "catch".
Of course this will be the "best sub", right?  Wink wink.  Right?
And, it may be.  Maybe dipole bass is the only bass that will really work well with these speakers.  We can spend 4k on subwoofers quietly and proudly announce the mains were only 650 bucks.
In the meantime, for under a grand for two (one is used) I will continue to enjoy these REL T5 that represent one of the better values in audio.
viber6,How interesting when my largely unproven theories are "proven" at least from the perspective of your experiences.  The LRS makes "perfect" sense from the size aspect.  The appetizer theory is a nice try by Wendell but given the huge jump in prices, it's like a hot dog vs. buying an expensive meal for a party of 100.  Or something like that.  Now, the ribbon tweeter of the 3.7i would be of some consideration, but here again we are at 10x the LRS.  As to what I would think makes sense for Magnepan, is to provide a bi-amped monoblock system for the LRS with powered OEM subwoofers made by REL or of their own dipole design.  They need to get into this century with their connections and fuses and jumpers or whatever is going on in the back, frankly it's a bit odd.  I mean what the heck.  Provide the amps, the cables, the subwoofers, all set up to make those LRS sing, all for under 5k total.  That's my marketing plan for Magnepan...