Joule vzn 80 or 100 for merlins?

I am most likely going to go for a joule amp to drive my merlins but was wondering if the vzn 80's are going to be enough if I listen to opera at some what loud volumes. What about the stargates and heavengates are they worth considering?
pedrillo

Showing 5 responses by tomryan

Good luck finding a used VZN of either persuassion. By the way, Bobby at Merlin only really recommends the "music box" version of the VZNs which is a particular type of cabinet. I had TSM-MXs which were very easy to drive by an Air Tight 300B amp in a small room but the VSMs are also an easy load - 89db with a very benign impedance and crossover load.

Nutella is completely right, the difference btw 80 & 100wts is negligible. You really should be fine with the VZN-80 unless you sit 20 ft away from the speakers.
They use a large and strange SET tube, the name of which I can't think of. They are SETs, not P/P or OTLs.
By "not an OTL" I meant they were transformer coupled, not OTL. Hmmm...Does anyone know of an SET ciruit OTL? Also, I thought the DeHavillands had switched from 845s to a more obscure output tube. Am I wrong about this? My memory is that they went to this different tube in the latest version - too bad I'm lazy too look it up myself!
I checked it out - the DeH. now uses a Russian GM-70 output tube which I had never heard of. I think it one that was used in their tanks.
Jim,
There is a thread here somewhere in which Bobby recommends someone to get the "music box" version if possible because the standard one sounds a little fuzzy and indistinct by comparison. You'd have to search "Merlin speakers" to get the exact quote, but coincidently enough, Joule Electra just this month in TAS has an ad for the "music box" case and shows it. Interesting and I'd love to try one out someday.