John Mayer - Opened My Ears

I've heard John Mayer on the radio over the past years. I like his pop songs but was not overlay impressed to be honest. I recently watched via You Tube - Live in Los Angeles, Live on Letterman. Holy cow!!!! I heard numerous songs not played on my local pop stations and remakes of the songs I do know that really captured my attention. His live performances far exceed his radio played material. The 2008 Live in Los Angeles concert was broken up in three sets - acoustic, blues like trio, and the full band. He's also appeared on Clapton's Crossroads concert. His guitar skills really blew me away. He's certainly one of the premier talents of his generation. I would suggest given more years and material he'll solidify his place to the likes of Simon, Dylan...... That's a bold statement but he certainly has the talent to reach that mark. I hope to see him live someday!!!!
pdspecl
Synth...to each his own. I really like him and I'm sure you
listen to crap I wouldn't let on my turntable and vice versa.

Indeed there is a lot of great music out there...
Solidify his place in the likes of Simon or Dylan??? Thats not a bold statement, its more like a Statement of stupidity. John Mayer is second rate talent at best. I cant count how many times i have had to see him because of my Wife, i crimge every time he comes to town because i have to sit through medicore songs.

Maybe a more fair comparrison would be someone like Santana, but certainly not the greatest songwriter of the last 5 decades.
Dylan,Simon and the like Mayer is not. An evolving artist who went from boring pop fluff to something that is actually interesting and worthwhile? I'll give him that.