Jelco 750D and Denon Cartridge Compatability?

Hello all,

What has been your experience with mating Denon Cartridges with the Jelco 750D tonearm? Thanks for all responses.

bob
rbwinterlink

Showing 1 response by johnnyb53

Hi. I don't have a Jelco SA-750D but I do have a Technics SL1210 with the KAB fluid damper. This means my arm has several things in common with yours; to wit:

o S-shaped
o Fluid damped
o Adjustable arm height
o Interchangeable headshells

The Vinyl Engine datasheet indicates that the 750D can handle cartridge weights from 4 to 12g. However, since the headshells are interchangeable, you can get a lighter or heavier headshell to increase the compatibility range.

For example, the Technics tonearm has an effective mass of 12g including the stock 7.5g headshell. This combo is optimum for a cartridge with compliance of 20-30. But I am currently using a 14g LPGear ZuPreme headshell which boosts the effective mass to 18.5g, and I get an excellent match with an Audio Technica AT-150 MLX, which has a fairly low compliance of 10. Furthermore, the fluid damper significantly lowers the amplitude of the cart-arm resonance peak, so even if the match is a little outside the sweet spot, the damping reduces the resonance's effect.

So if you want to use a lighter and/or higher compliance cartridge, get a lighter headshell and if you use a lower compliance cartridge, get a heavier one or get a heavier headshell. You can't make too much generalization about Denon cartridges anyway. For example, the DL-103 weighs 8.5g and has a compliance rating of 5 at 100Hz. The DL-110 has a compliance of 14 and weighs 4.8g. The DL-304 is in between with a compliance of 14 and weight of 7.0g.