Jean Nantais Reference Lenco Mk2 vs Mk3

Friends,
I am contemplating buying an Idler drive turntable to my system. I already have a good belt drive (Verdier) and this is for a change of taste. I listened to a Garrard and it was doing definitely something that I havent heard any belt drive TTs do. It wasnt as nuanced as my Verdier though. I have been exchanging emails with Jean Nantais. He said he could build me either a Garrard or a Lenco. Since his Lenco recipe has been very popular I decided to go with his Reference Lenco. However, there are two versions that I have to choose from, Mk2 and Mk3. The price difference is close to $2500. Will appreciate some advice on choosing between the two. If anyone has heard these versions it will be really helpful to get an opinion on their sonic signature.
pani

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Pani - The MKIII changes are described on Jean's website.

couple points taken from there.

But, my new chassis is indeed now separated into two parts: the business end of the chassis (bottom where the main bearing, idler-wheel and motor are fixed) is a self-contained single unit, completely separate from the aesthetic part of the chassis which sits above it.

I furthermore had the top decorative/speed part machined from solid, so eliminating the need to pour glass-epoxy into the voids of the original [very good sounding] chassis to further reduce resonances, while improving on it again. The exterior part is made from non-magnetic aluminium, another improvement on the original ferrous/magnetic chassis in terms of safety for the very magnetic phono cartridges.

As far as impressions I do own a JN table (a unique one) See my system page. If you would like more info feel free to pm or contact me there.

Cheers