JBL 250ti's or something new....

I'm a vintage audio nerd, particularly old JBL.  I have the opportunity to get a pair of JBL L250ti's from a friend, but it involves a trip from FL to PA and back, and about $2800.  I'm wondering if there's a equal/better newer alternative out there.  I'm not super familiar with newer gear, but I figure for around $3,000, I can get some high quality brand new/newish speakers....I'm just not totally sure.  Apparently the L250's are pretty hard to beat....

thoughts and/or suggestions?  
druunderwood
I think I've decided to wait until the JBL Studio 590's go on sale again at half off and giving them a spin.  There's really nothing to lose.  They get delivered to my door in brand new condition and I can return them if I don't like them...and if I do, there's a warranty and I can biwire them which is also nice.  I don't have speakers that I can do that with and I've always wanted to try it.  

I've always been into vintage stuff, so I'm curious..in what way don't old speakers compare to newer?  I'm not being a prick.  I'm genuinely asking..haha..I have no experience with any speakers after the late 90's.  I just always went after audio equipment made in the era's of my favorite music 70's-90's and from my experience, my equipment built in the 70's and 80's are usually made in the same place they are designed (America, Germany, Japan, England, etc) and they are so well made and I love that.  Newer stuff often seems cheap and crappy to me unless you spend gobs and gobs of dough.  Seems like everything is made in china out of plastic and MDF
update..I just checked and the 590's are less than half off so I ordered them and I have until Jan 31st to try them out..they arrive Weds :)