Jazz Hands

Anyone had purchased this record album by Bob James released last year ?

Likes/dislikes?

After all, he isn't forever and this album I believe worth having TBH.

czarivey

@hilde45 

@bigtwin 

I apologize to you both,  And @elliottbnewcombjr was right,  "OP asked for Likes/Dislikes".  I think before that set in I immediately went on "don't criticize my childhood idol" mode.  I first heard Bob James in early college years and followed him relatively closely until now.  Fourplay was his mainstay for years and every musician in that band, and there were many, still have great careers today.  But I will admit, some of his material in Fourplay makes you want to break out the champale and make my best Barry White moves on my wife.

And neither of you are blind in seeing or appreciating talent.  That was an elitist snide remark on my part.

We all have heroes, we all like different stuff.  I guess I just went off the rails a bit when someone else had a different take on a musician.  So, yes, that's on me.

We all have our music idols.  I remember listening to John McLaughlin's lp, Inner Mounting Flame, when I was about 14 years old.  I was totally blown away by his non traditional time signatures for that era, 11/8, 9/8, 5/4, and mixing them all up.

That fusion era opened me up to what are today considered masters: Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, George Duke, Larry Coryell, Chic Corea.  The list goes on.

I was kind of taken back with the passing of Chic Corea in the not too recent past. It kind of humbles you up a bit with the realization that our heroes are just like us, mere mortals passing through. Sometime we can make a mark with our craft, our actions, our lives, or sometimes we can screw things up and say the wrong words in an innocent discussion board!!!  

Sorry again.

**** What’s the worst thing about the Alman Brothers? Greg’s damn keyboard! ****

True, but it’s all relative, isn’t it? Not a “bad” player, but certainly the least accomplished instrumentalist in a band of great (Rock) instrumentalists. However, I can’t imagine the sound of TABB without the sound of Greg’s organ. Would the band have been better with a “better” organ player? Maybe. Not so sure. Be careful what you wish for.

Point is that while I agree with @hilde45 and @bigtwin if one likes that style of music, Bob James is an icon in that scene.

I love his '80's music as well as the newer Fourplay stuff so I bought the SACD of "Jazz Hands" and I was VERY disappointed.  It seemed to me that he was trying to appeal to a much younger generation and he completely ruined the music for those of us that have known and loved him all these years.