Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

nsp, Gary Bartz is a gifted musician, and I'm glad he's still around; none of the musicians I knew with his problem are still around; they all worked for "Blue Note", and from my point of view their finances weren't as great as they should have been. Drug addicts needing a fix don't make the best bargains; ask Alex about that, he posted in relation to that situation.

When a drug addict is not making enough money to pay for his habit, if that addict is a professional musician, he's in double trouble, that's because he has to have his medication before he can play. He also has to have a "baby sitter" to tell him when he's had enough.

I never observed what Gary spoke of in regard to time, or heard it mentioned, the only thing I observed is a musician nodding and unable to make the gig.

Musicians who made enough money to pay for their habit and make gigs were able to get by without much attention.

I never observed any benefit whatsoever drugs had to the musician who used drugs.
Nsp, thanks, it is not on ytube but I saw the other album with same line up, recorded in roughly the same time, called ’Dolo’

https://youtu.be/nmyV8aY9Um8

It seems that this one was made around the same time, same label, Frank Butler is leader, album is called ’Captain kid’

https://youtu.be/U8TD8yidsCg

I have very litlle jazz made in 70’s, in fact still did not get ’there’, listening to sound of it, interesting...new sensation...

As for the other subject, there are well known essays of Aldous Huxly, called ’The doors of perception and Heaven and hell’ where he elaborates on his psychedelic experience under the influence of mescaline and reflects on their philosophical and psychological implications. Very interesting, especially the part where he looks the different art works and contemplate on it as well as the part where he thinks of origins of such inspirations and creations
Without question Art Blakey is my favorite Jazzman. I love how his band was talent machine. The fact that this thread started with Moanin' makes me very very happy 
Catching up on recent posts. Great clips all. Thanks! And, welcome new contributors climt and vanya_42nd; looking forward to your posts and clips.

pjw, I particularly liked Dexter’s “Tanya” and I agree that his solo is a masterpiece. One of my very favorite tenor players and I had the privilege of hearing him at The Vanguard several times after his much heralded return from Europe. Beautiful player with that great robust tone and, for me, walking the perfect line between the classic traditional and modern tenor styles. Fittingly, he was one of Coltrane’s main influences. Speaking of Trane, styles, masterpiece tenor solos and KOB:

One of the many things that make KOB a very special recording and Miles a very special band leader is the seldom pointed out fact that the band on KOB is composed of players with disparate styles. Yet another testament to Miles’ genius, he put together a band that, unlike most classic recordings which typically feature players with generally similar styles, a look at KOB’s lineup shows a different approach. You have Bill Evans’ understated and introspective style, Cannonball’s is very exuberant and bluesy, Coltrane is always searching and forward looking combining tone with edge and beautiful gentleness, and Miles is....Miles, enigmatic and cool as hell (🤔). On that record is one of my favorite tenor solos on record. Favorite for its utter simplicity and perfection for the moment in the music:

https://youtu.be/PoPL7BExSQU

Some comments on drug use and Jazz musicians to hopefully put the subject in better, or at least different, context:

First, it should be pointed out that it was not unique to Jazz musicians. Many Classical musicians have also been drug and alcohol abusers throughout history and this continued until more recent times when musicians in all genres have been more prone to abstain. Drug use in Jazz , particularly marijuana, was quite prevalent among Swing players (pre-bebop/Bird).

While it is true that some players started using heroin in an effort to emulate their hero Charlie Parker, the reason for the prevalence of drug use is more complicated than that; and, of course, one should look at what drove Bird himself to abuse drugs and alcohol. To understand the phenomenon one has to understand the creative mind. Musicians in general are always searching for the new and for better ways to be creative and emotionally expressive. To one degree or another, they also tend to have compulsive personalities which explains the incredible degree of dedication devoted to their craft in order to achieve the level of excellence that the greats achieve. As much attention as the “social” aspect of many musicians’ lives gets, in many ways it is a solitary life. Bird, Coltrane and most of the greats would practice seven hours or more a day! Much of this is also a reflection of the fact that most performers are of a certain personality type that both seeks the attention and adulation that performing provides and, at the same time, causes anxiety; a dichotomy. In spite of the high level of confidence and bravura that many performers project, many suffer from insecurity as individuals and as performers. It is not an easy life even for the financially successful ones and many have resorted to self-medication. Not to be overlooked is the physical stress leading to physical pain that playing a musical instrument for many hours each and every day often causes.

It is also a dichotomy that there is, in fact, a creativity enhancement component to the use of mind altering substances. Many passive listeners who have indulged on any level know that, FOR SOME, it can enhance focus, reduce inhibitions and cause one to experience music in a new and different way. Imagine the possible appeal for the creative musician who literally lives for new ways of self expression. Alex touched upon some of this with his references in a prior post. The dichotomy is that for many the seduction can lead to abuse and ultimately total lack of control (addiction) and all the horrible negatives that come along with that. Usually, a counterproductive choice as concerns creativity. Even if Bird did, in fact, open some new creative vistas by using heroin, how might that level of creativity compare to what he might have achieved had he been straight and lived another 34 years?

For me, moral of the story is “don’t blame Bird”.

https://youtu.be/6Wa7El-k3jQ