Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Showing 50 responses by jim5559

I'm sure Oscar Peterson would love to hear his National Anthem, He was Canadian to the end , and IMO the greatest  Jazz man that land ever had ,

Of course you did, was being a top musician not part of how you  feel ?

Oh , going to Oprea ,  what I would fight for there  is Bjorling and Victoria de los Angles in Butterfly . They moved me more than anything in music I ever heard!

Two Greats, Bjorling sang in perfection of her voice , impossible but he did it, He did it, sure effected in other parts of my life .

perfection 

I think both Jazz and Classical are worthy and deserve respect.

That said , Classical was about God from around 1200 and was still that to the days of Bach, Mozart and Schubert and Brahms and many, many thousands more .on the way.

I love Coltrane {and his wife)but if he never told what his music was you not know what it was. Religious .

All I saying is Classical has thousand times more music than jazz ,

And until WW1 had more to do with society than other music or "music"

Seems irrelevant when I read both Jazz and Classical are 5% of music sold together.

My rich friend says the last Classical Concert will be Beethoven 9 in 2056 in Tokyo .

I say we’ll all be cooked by then . Excuse my bad writing ,

P.S. The Lutheran National Choir is very good as is a hundred others in the Twin Cities . No joke .

PURE     JAZZ 

Super Soul in town, ALL bow down !

Well , I’ve been all over mahgister .At least you live in a land that all over the world

is thought well of . That’s why my travel coats have maple on them.

I’ve been in all ten and IMO Canada stops at Ontario down near London , Waterloo etc .

Manitoba has it rough period . Sask has same First Nation problems, Alberta’s

real name is Texas North , BC I can’t speak Chinese and can’t go over a million for a house.

O’Canada is in Ontario, Quebec , NB ,NS and PIE . Newfy’s beats me .

Best of all are Quebec , most interesting , NB , best place to raise kids, Nova Scotia is great because I am 70% Scottish and Halifax has nice views.          PIE ,  F  spuds .

Somebody please make the above clip , I was in heaven at  12 minutes , , found out it goes to 1;38

1; 38  and Elling and the best big band around are in love .

If I could do this clip it would the best I ever made .

True, frogman , I knew it was a pick up band but I thought I would never get Ellington and Mingus in :" Sound of Love :

I have seen many times that top jazz men’s face showed their respect

for Elling .

I never thought he was anything but a musician , 1st class .

There is a fantastic clip on here  with two Elling  helpers , the Great German WDR  with Bob Mintzer  on baton ,

I don't thing you could ever do better ! Elling gives all he has , he knows he can't  do   better ! I can not to anything  without  a page  that says  PASTE .

I found something with both Elling and PASTE , not near to WDR, but still very

good., He goes to Germany because his Dad is a Lutheran Pastor and jazz

is more popular in Germany . Not a few American jazz men live there .

Funny , :Norwegian Wood is only Beattle Song i really like .

Re; Norwegian Wood , God as my witness , An Iceland Stewardess

, Luxemburg -NYC flight , gave a soldier a a note saying to said soldier

she would like his company in her overnight hotel in NYC .

Wasn’t exactly the Soldiers thing but he went with her

and to a tee it was "Norwegian Wood "

I had a girl in Germany !

Re; Elling , I’d be surprised if he was not an apple off Dad’s Tree.

Hear is the best Church of the best Christians in America !

Hands down the power of his VOICE is more than any other instrument !

Trying to come to all things of God alone is like a dog chasing his tail .

frog person has made it clear to me why Mingus was the first jazzman

that called to me and still does . If only he had Sonny Stitt in his band !

Took me a year or three to figure this was controlled chaos in F minor .

Brahms would have done it in a few hours ,

Yes I know , but if the strongest im -prov genius could have a trio with the slickist 

one , the earth could cry . 

I'm no genius , but I can hear Sonny  make two moves over at the same time

in less than a second , keep doing it and  make the melody of any standard be is

with im-proving all the way ,

And them better with out seeming to do so. Was like the Hudson flooding vs a baby bottle .

I think his genius is not nearly  known as it should be .

This lady sold a million in the year before at 83 .

Perhaps the best backing Columbia ever made , easy to find .

You WILL beat your feet . No album on here.

And you will laugh hard and be very glad you got it . AMTRAK  BLUES

I loved Al Coln , smooth and steady , like me !

He and the Great Barry Harris could play for me all day and half the night.AL was a fine arranger as well with Woody Herman big band,

I never understood  why they called him Cannonball , a Cannonball goes straight ,

he carried the melody a lot by my hears .

More to my taste than most Davis stuff . Have to tract down Sonny on the "bone" !

Here one of the Greatest jazz artists tells it like it IS !

One reason is what the best historians know but want to eat , America is not the

new country but the oldest .

Copenhagen is a large city and the capital of Denmark , with 20 million tourists a year.

UN says it is the best city in the world to live in , I wouldn’t argue .

I am sure  it is one of them .

Gee, do they like Jazz in Amsterdam , few folks showed up.?

Lucky jazz  , it seldom gets played  in the greatest hall in the world !

I"m a bit nuts , I don’t hear solos in the great big-bands . To me they are just one instrument . My mom said I ran to the radio to hear all the big-bands at age 3 .

They got "When Johnny Comes Marching Home " in the way a long serving soldier would understand ,WAR ..

Hall isn’t as good and audience smaller . So there!    Grieg's lovely flute Sonata is on  next door .

Yes, I did . I just thought that flute was something to hear !

Going over to see  about a violin sonata with one Julia Fisher.

I can’t I say I am a freak for Grieg but I have listened to "Peer Gynt" at least a Thousand times ! Soothing .......... , I sure respect him .

Sorry ,I put in my clip . I just meet a lot who don’t mahgiester .

Could you tell me when I could expect the 50’s F in your part of the world .

Doc and I decided not wise to fly atlantic, but YUL and Hotel St. Paul would be OK.

2 years of self watching self is enough and no sweat for current what must be in Canada now !.

These ladies are in the best Army in Europe or North America along with both the

Men and Women of the Polish Army .

And they sing !

Thanks mahgister , but as long as someone just hears what I did , fine for me.

A petty good young man on organ backed by the mighty WDR in Berlin, about 7 minutes. Quite a few Americans play in the German WDR’s. (Radio Bands )

In Wisconsin I lived next to a Trumpet mam who played in Southwest DR for 30 years, came home to die but was ingood health

I learned 60 years ago when folks from this land  put there mind to it the rest of us can forget about it !

Good thing too ,  they have made their Air Force  twice as large in 5 years and their

pilots have got their minds on Chinese .

All opinons aside , this piece is only one thing, PERFECTION !!!!!

Att the end of the jazz day its do you have a story or no.

This guy IS a story and only the human mouth AND BRAIN could do that .

P.S , he both arranged and improved -aaaahh

Who else does all this with one of THE greatest of all standers , nobody I have heard in over 70  years of hard listing .