is VPI's new "Super Platter" a worthwhile upgrade?

VPI just began shipping their new 25-pound "Super Platter" for ALL models of VPI turntables except the HR-X. At $1200, it ain't cheap. I'm wondering how much of an upgrade it would be from the rather massive all-black platter that came with my Super Scout Master about 2 years ago. All ideas most welcome.

Mike
stei7141
I believe you can trade your old platter for a new one at a cost, is it worth the extra cost that would depend on you and how deep your pockets are.If you can purchase one with a 30day return and keep your old platter it might be worth it, and if you like what you hear and it makes a major difference than see if VPI will allow you to send in your old platter and receive cash back on the purchase price. I would think with such an expensive option they would allow this.
Spend the $1.2k by purchasing (in no particular order of preference):

- the SDS, if you do not yet have it
- an effective platform (here are some example: at least 3" thick maple board, Neuance, Symposium, BDR The Shelf, etc.)
- an effective record mat
- some effective coupling devices (pucks, wood blocks, replacement footers, etc.) to go between the plinth/feet and the vibration control platform
- an effective record weight
- an effective outer ring weight

Surely the price of all of the above items will exceed the price of the Super Platter. However, it would be interesting to see if a combination of them will equal or outperform it.

Regards,
DISCLOSURE: Audiomax-ltd is an VPI authorized dealer in San Juan Capistrano, CA.

As stated on VPI website, if you purchased any VPI turntable after March 1st,2007 you are qualified for a $300 rebate from VPI should you decide to upgrade to this new Super Platter.
The new Super Platter will come with a more substantial bearing assembly to accommodate the heavier 25lbs weight.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/product_supplatter.htm
It is high end insanity and Harry come on man. That platter would and undoubtedly will be an integral member of the VPI line of TTs. I own a Scout with a Dynevector cartridge through VPI. In addition I bought your 16.5 record washing machine. I would hope a little bit of generosity is in order. You know what, I know some people who could make a heavy platter that will fit your bearings. I will at least add some nice eye candy and use layers of resonance and vibration isolation materials in it. It is ridiculous for me to spend 3/4 of the price of my Scout which is about one year old, for the platter. I would rather just buy another companies table when I upgrade. Or beat you at your own game.