Is this a reasonable Audiophile Mac-based Server?

Since I'm a visual person, I've tried to distill what I've learned about music servers and how I might create one. Any suggestions or comments you have would be appreciated.

Here is the link to the website with the picture:
Map of Mac-based Server

My goal is to produce the best sounding Music Server regardless of price.
hdomke

Showing 5 responses by s789f

I've recently set up my system similar to that being discussed.

I purchased a Mac Mini and ripped my CD's using Apple lossless. The Mini connects to a Bel Canto DAC3 via usb.

Other than the occasional drop in signal somewhere, somehow, it sounds fantastic.

After auditioning multiple pre amps and CDP's, this set up sounds better than everything I listened to in it's relative price range.

I just hope I can determine what's causing these drop outs.
Anyone been experiencing similar symptoms?
i just went to the benchmark and read that article. it seems mac has already done an update. i'm running itunes 7.6 with leopard which is current.

just ran 2 dedicated circuits from my panel. circuit 1 to the stereo the other to the mac.

STILL THE OCCASIONAL DROP OUT! WTF!
i have had that unchecked and just unchecked everything automatic.

still happening!
thanks pwfletcher,
i really hope its not a prob with the dac. i've talked to bel canto directly and they think the issue is with the mac.i tried a little experiment which was using my dvd player as a transport feeding the dac. seemed to work fine! connection made with digital coax. next i tried using the mac as the transport (no rip, just playback). no luck, same results- does the dac read usb and coax differently?
I just got off the apple site and apparently it sounds like itunes 7.6 might be the issue. many people complaining about similar problems. (skipping, drop outs) i tried trashing the itunes app., then reinstalling it. - no luck -
man, it would really be nice to get to the bottom of this.
oh yea, apple care hasn't a clue! ?????????