Is There Some Problem With Shunyata's Everest Power Conditioner

I have been looking for a Shunyata power conditioner, and was thinking of going all the way and picking up an Everest, which is not only stupidly expensive but is the predictable darling of all reviewers, who gush about how wonderful this product is.  However, there are currently SIX Everests for sale on US Audiomart.  For a transformative and expensive product with seemingly universal acclaim, the fact that there six Everests for sale at the same time makes me wonder if maybe it is not so amazing and transformative and people are having buyer's remorse after picking one up.  Comments or insight?

moto_man

@wokeuptobose, someone is obsessed with power, LOL!  How did you feel about the performance of the Everest, and did you do all of the dedicated lines before or after the Everest?  What PC did you use for it? Also, I currently have a TippLite Isolation Transformer for my preamp and DAC, Pass 250.8 into the wall and I have a Puron plugged into the TrippLite and into a wall outlet.  Did you try putting one of the Purons into the Everest?

I wasn't always a believer. I bought a 3000K shunyata conditioner and 5 first gen shunyata Venoms. I was very unimpressed. I bought this gear as I had a voltage surge and turned that into a WAFactor for support to buy it as protection. I was a follower at the time, reading reveiws and taking them as truth... I then started up the Shunyata power cord ladder. Alpha gen 1 followed by Sigma Gen 1 then all Sigma V2. Frankly, I didn't do a pre-purchase listen to the Everest before I bought it, so I'm not the best before and after person for that product. I did listen like a crazy person to all the cables, all as I was supposed to...each on its own, back and forth. Over time the resolution of my system has improved. My wife and I have a huge problem with sibilence/harsness/brightness. I am convinced that Shunyata's house sound 4 years ago (certainly the NR) products were focused at taming grunge, espsially digital. When you see a gen 1 dCS Vivaldi and SS electronics in Shunyata's sound room it's easy to understand why they felt they needed to round the sound. I've never seen a tube in there, but maybe they have more diverse equipment than I have seen.

I was able to try a full loom of AQ Dragon power cords and they changed my ideas about Shunyata being the best cords for my emerging system. I also tried an XLR dragon between my Gryphon and Lampizator DAC. Before the change to the Typhon 2s and the Dragon power cords, it was too bright, a little too much on female voices. After the power revision to Typhon/dragon and SDFuses, I tried the Dragon XLR again and its wonderful. I'm not dissing Shunyata as I'm sure their new cable generation will address this rounding.

I have had three dedicated lines for about 5 years. Each terminted with 2 duplex outlets per box. 

Sorry I am rambling, but this is pretty involved. Yes, I put the purons in the Everest and I highly recommend that and them. I have 6 of them and they make the sound very enjoyable without any side effects I can hear. I put them everywhere I have an open outlet. I think I had two in the Everest in the bottom two outlets.

@moto_man 

I've wondered the same as I signed up on HiFiShark a few months ago to be notified when one becomes available for sale.  I have received a LOT of emails on these.  I haven't tried one but did trial an open-box Eiger from Music Direct.  It made an immediate improvement in my system.  I ended up going with a used Hydra Triton V1 for $1300.  I didn't have it at the same time as the Eiger but it also made an immediate improvement...but not quite on the same degree as the Eiger.  It seems like around $6000-6500 has been a good price lately so if you can afford that and the PC, go for it!  Clearly you can resell it if you are not impressed : )

I have an Everest and it was a major improvement in sound over the Triton V1 I had prior. I think it’s worth the cost especially buying used. 

Following up on fastfreight's post, Shunyata is one of the few power conditioner manufacturers that have patents which publicly disclose aspects of their technology.  In particular, their two primary power conditioning technologies implemented in the Everest (and also the 6 outlet Denali, but not the two outlet version) are referred to as QR/BB and NIC (noise isolation chamber).

If you want to read about them and debate their technical validity, see below (just delete spaces):

QR/BB - https :// patents .google.com/patent/US10031536B2

NIC - https ://patents .google.com/patent/US8658892B2

Re: the number of units for sale, there are a number of possible explanations.  Quite a few times I have seen this happen when a new and improved product is coming out at some point and those "in the know" are looking to dump their units early (most recently to my recollection, this happened with MSB Select DACs right before the public announcement for the Cadence) so - an Everest v2 is on the horizon?  It also could be, as others have noted above, power conditioning tends to be very system dependent / controversial. 

All I will say about the Everest in particular is that it has some credibility in the industry, and in my experience, absolutely smokes the Audioquest 7000, which is commonly listed as its primary competition in terms of price / target application.