Is there Really a difference between a Krell 400xi intergrated amp and the newer Vandgard?

I currently own a Krell 400xi intergrated amp. It has 200 watts a 750k toroidal, balanced inputs, etc. Its very similar to the current vanguard intergrated amp in terms of similar spec's. I would like to know if anyone upgraded and if it was worth it? Is the sound different does it go lower, deeper, more of an open sound stage or should I just consider another route to improve what I already have.

thanks,

matt00

Showing 18 responses by dave_b

Ok, so the question is whether or not the Krell Vanguard is superior to the 400xi.  Well, yes in absolute terms and no if you are strapped for cash.  Overall the Vanguard is clearer, more dynamic and slightly warmer.  It also will not overheat and produces a more fleshed out soundstage.  Bass has more texture and sounds natural as compared to the 400xi's taughter, leaner presentation.  Both are great values and outperform the competition by a wide margin, IMO.  FYI, Audiophileliquidaters have the Vanguard priced well below msrp!  
I'm going to pick up a used 400xi and do a shootout in my system!!  Stay tuned...the looser gets posted on Agon:()
Should have the 400xi tomorrow!  I'm going to find out if my recollections are accurate or not regarding the two Krell integrateds.

Drum roll please....The Vanguard is the winner by a huge margin!  I intended to keep the 400xi for a second system but it had a low level him in one channel and a higher noise floor than I remembered.  That said, the Vanguard immediately strikes me as far more dynamic, open and refined.  Very much like a cleaner FPB300CX amp.  The 400xi seems anemic and flat comparatively.  Clean and clear but lighter in it's presentation.  Bass is phenomenal through the Vanguard and delivers better solidity to images.  So, for integrated bliss, the Krell Vanguard delivers one sweet sonic treat!

FYI, getting a Krell Cipher next week...I will post.  May pick up a pair of cherry Krell Resolution 2 speakers as well.  Had a pair a few years ago and miss their full bodied take on my CD collection.  Stay tuned!

Sdcampbell, I had the Hegel home and I found it hard and flat sounding.  A bit cold as well!
I agree Brian, I tried them all as well!  

Octet11, I highly recommend Music Direct...they are a class act and you can return anything you don't like after a thorough listen.
I use an REL SUB with my Vanguard...the Speakon connection is actually superior to an RCA line level connection.

Very few FBI's were sold.  The FBI was an FPB 300 and a KCT in one chassis!  Quite a few Vanguards were sold and at any given time many great pieces of Krell and or other top brands are listed.  That said, Krell could have put line level outs.
First of all, the Vanguard and all their current line is made in the USA!  The older s-550 and s-300 and matching CD player were made in China.  As for the musicality, the sound is actually improved.  I've owned just about everything since the original FPB SERIES came out.  I call it exquisite neutrality with world class tonal reproduction.  Clarity and resolution is superb and personally, the bass surpasses the quality of the older design in every meaningful way.  As for the 400xi for example, it sounds broken compared to the Vanguard.  Not sure what you guys are smoking but it must be special.  It goes without saying that a great power cables are required, as well as great speakers and source.  Many mismatched variables can misdirect your assessment.  The Vanguard takes forever to break in and is meant for the 2 channel crowd like me.  I use a Krell Cipher and Krell Resolution 2 speakers.  Cabling and PC's are MIT ORACLE!  Also, the Vanguard is an updated design from the 400xi with a new preamplification stage and more storage capacitance, not a sea change.

Saying you spoke to Patrick and that he said it was built in China and that the voicing is terrible is a lie!  I happen to know Patrick and have discussed the current lineup with him and find your inferences at odds with reality!
On the other hand, it goes without saying that not much can equal or out perform a 700CX!
You are incorrect Audiolabyrinth!  I also talk to Bill and Krell invested in a new facility in Orange, CT. To make all their products in the USA!  Previous 2 generation integrateds were Chinese made:()

Audiolabyrinth, spoke to Patrick and as I suspected he verified that all product is made in USA now.  On the point of expansion to a new facility, that has not taken place yet.  Finally, as to the sound....I have owned a vast cross section of Krell gear dating back to the mid 90's and I know that to my ears the new Krell voicing is more musical.  Krell has also managed to deliver a clearer, more dynamic and expressive presentation.  As for those that will complain about feature set's on an integrated that competes with separates costing many times it's MSRP?  Well, I appreciate the exhalted level of sound available from a one box unit that delivers superior performance to just about anything available below $10K.