Is there a way to clean...

...records without the use of a machine, that would work even remotely well?
tonyptony

Showing 3 responses by pawlowski6132

I had the same question:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1154792651&openmine&zzPawlowski6132&4&5#Pawlowski6132

Now, I don't think a RCM can match what one can pull off by hand. Here's my process:

1. I have a dedicated station where I keep the Shopvac, Steamer, Distilled water, brushes, holding rack, etc.

2. I Steam one side of the record using a standard clothese steamer. Mine looks like a vacuum with a 5 inch attachment I wave over the record to loosen up grime and we the record

3. Over that, apply Record Research Lab Deep Cleaner with Mobil Fidelity brush. Use bi-directional scrubbing.

4. Vacuum off using Shopvac, 5 inch attachment covered with cotton cloth.

5. Apply Record Research Lab Standard Cleaner with Mobil Fidelity brush. Use bi-directional scrubbing.

6. Vacuum off using Shopvac, 5 inch attachment covered with cotton cloth.

I also use the RRL stylus cleaner and of course the standard dry brush for dust which has settled from the cleaning station to the table. I also have a can of compressed air handy.

Further, I have a room air cleaner running during the day to help eliminate dust in general and a room humidifier to ensure static electricity is neutralized.
"Pawlowski, thanks for the pointer to the thread. I read through it and found some good ideas. Your method sounds interesting, but is there any danger in the application of steam to the vinyl surface?"

I think the only risk is that you don't keep the steam moving. Think of ironing your clothes. Everything's OK unless you let the iron rest in one place too long. Other than that, it's just hot distilled water.