Is there a non-DJ version of the Technics SL-1200 Series?

Hey A-goN,

I think I recall mention on a non-DJ / Home Audio version of the venerable Technics SL-1200 series of turntables. What is the non-DJ version made for home audio? Is it the SL-1600? Is there a mk II-V, etc., like there was with the SL-1200? Does the non-DJ version command a lower price on the used market? Is there any down-side to the non-DJ version? Any missing features, etc.?

I sometimes see SL-1600, SL1650 and SL-1700 for sale locally. Are these worth owning? 

Thanks for any information and recommendations.
reubent

Showing 1 response by sleepwalker65

To recommend a suitable turntable, we need to know how you are planning to use it. If you want to put on a record, sit down and listen, then there are many good turntables with better vibration isolation than the SL-1200mk2. Also keep in mind that the SL-1200mk2 is an often abused turntable by rap-“djs“, and probably needs major overhauling of the spindle, motor and tonearm. On the other hand, if you are planning to use it as a rap controller for serato, just get any cheap $50 turntable at Walmart or an electronic encoder that is designed for serato.