Is the Modwright for an Oppo udp205 worth it?

Thinking about getting the modwright for my Oppo udp205. Does anyone have any experience with it?
deanshias

Showing 3 responses by allanw

I got my UDP-205 when it was first released by Oppo.  I was very familiar with how very good recordings sounded.  In September, I got it modified.  I heard a distinct improvement in the recordings.  Jazz female vocalists sounded less grainy to me.  It sounded to me like it smoothed out the digital rough edges on my digital music.  I am using the stock tubes included with the mod, but I have different tubes on order to experiment with the sound.

Several people have commented on the price of the mod.  Keep in mind that this is not only a mod to the Oppo unit, but it also includes a very high quality external power supply (External PS 9.0 v. 10) and cable.

On the ModWright website, look at pictures of the UDP-105 mod to see the power supply and special cable.
One of the features I like most about the Oppo UDP-205 is its capability to play the higher resolution files.  Whether or not one believes that a person can hear differences, I have the option to see for myself.  I have downloaded DSD512 and DXD files, and played them without any issues.  These sound very sweet with the mod.