Is polk Lsi15 too big for my 20x13x8 room?

I am considering Polk Lsi15 for my set up. I listen to mostly classical music at a easy listening level. I sit about 11 feet from the speakers. I am wondering if there is such a thing as speakers being too big for the size of the room. I understand the voulume control button, however the amp needs to push enough power for the music to really open up, doesn't it? I understand the best music for the push and pull amp comes out between 5-10w. As for the amp and cd player I am still considering several options. MFA3.2 or A3.5, Bryston B100, Krell 300i, classe cap-160, something around $1200 used. Can someone help? Michi
odnok123
Thanks for the input. Can you name some speakers that sound balanced, full at the low level volume? I live in a small town and have no access to anything more than Best Buy and Circuit City.
I can only suggest those things I have listened to at length in my own home - you can check my systems and associated threads for where I've been sonically speaking. So FWIW, I'm presently using Tyler Linbrook Signature 1 full range 1 piece floor standing systems and I'm driving them to my satisfaction with a Primaluna Prologue 3 & 5 (35wt amp). At moderate volume, between 76db and 85 db the sound at the listening position is full, warm, and detailed without being in the least bright or etched. These sound much more full ranged at low volume than any of their predecessors (in my home) with the exception of the Quads, however proper placement, dynamics, and amplification issues keep me from recommending Quads.

The Tylers are capable of playing quite loud and the side benefit with this is, in my system at least, when played loud the highs don't drive you out of the room. I suspect this may have much to do with the tweeter used in this model. There have been a lot of comments on Tylers stuff in this forum and I can hardly recall a negative reaction to them.

For a pair of used Tyler's and if you want to save money a Primaluna Prologue 2 (3800 & 1450 respectively) you can have a great music system that will be hard to beat. And they will sound great in your room which is within 5 inches of the size of mine.

If this is in your budget range, do some more research for confirmation. Tylers can be bought on trial and if you don't like the Primaluna its a dead easy resale item.
I have an almost identical sized room as yours, and the LSi 15 are just magical and an absolute steal for the money.

Do yourself a favor and check this thread:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1130351158&read&keyw&zzreal=deal

I saw a pair here on the Agon for a ridiculous amount of money, considering their performance. They seem to be still for sale - believe me, they are audio's best kept secret.

In my room at least, they are the best I heard this side of $ 4,000.00

good luck !
audiokicks
You are right. There is one still for sale on Audiogon. The thread you mentioned and the review done by Wes Phillips made me think this could be the one. What is your power amp's 4 ohm rating?

I do not understand why everybody says I need a powerful amp because according to my calculation 64wpc at 4ohm will give 103db of sound. Why does a much powerful amp make these sound better? I am just asking what the extra power reserve do for the sound?
Newbee
Tyler Accoustics are beautiful. I do not think the full size Linbrook Sig is for me. They are too too heavy for me. I may still consider their monitor. They are so efficient. Bryston B60, Arcum A85 and YBA Integre are for sale on Audiogon. Do you have an opinion on ss amps? I have never even seen a tube amp in person. They seem high maintenance. Is there any tell tell sign in the speaker's and amp's spec. to indicate that they are good for low volume listening? I sould start a new thread "what makes a system sound good at low volume?" Is this a valid concern? I hope nobody comes back saying any system that sounds good at medium and loud.