Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

@mustbethemusic :

"As many have mentioned, the limited talent of performers in lieu of the shtick or the talented overshadowed by over produced digital electronics, makes it difficult to embrace new music that is not very musical"

I agree BUT there is plenty of excellent new music that lies outside your characterization, especially in the Americana, Newgrass, singer-songwriter, folk genres. Many highly skilled young musicians can be found working in these styles. BTW, I am a Jazz fan, as well and when I want a break from Jazz, this is where I go. . 

@stuartk - Noted. Didn't mean to suggest that all new music is inferior, just responding to the overall generalization from the article's author that old music was a threat to new. 

To your point, the author's focus might have overlooked great music in the categories you mentioned. IMO

@stuartk and @mustbethemusic 

You are correct. There is fantastic new music being released. We just have to work to find it. The record companies are lazy and only push what is easy to sell - nostalgic tunes and trendy instagram stars. The good new music seems to be released on smaller labels or else directly to their fans.

Take Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) for an example. He is a phenomenal musician and song writer, but he gets no publicity outside his own fans. I learned of him four years ago in Reddit after looking for new progressive music groups.

I also realize that most people want to listen to the same music that their friends are listening to that month. They want to be part of something popular. A lot of us in this forum have eclectic tastes and will have to work to find new music that we like.