Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

I'm 66 and loved the 50s doo wop, opera, rock and roll and classical music when I was a child.  PRAT must have had a lot to do with my desire to hear music as the quality of the sound was mediocre from my tube record players.  It wasn't until I was 13 that I finally bought a Sony TC366 RR that I started hearing good sound (and 15 when I had a beginner's early stereo).   When music has a melody and PRAT that one can sing and dance to, how can one not be moved?   With my high end audio systems, I can appreciate radically different music as well from rock pre-1995, fusion jazz and 20th century obscure classical music.   I cannot sing or dance to Rap, Hip Hop and most pop of today.   It doesn't move me.

I would never blame the young.

If we’re going to blame anyone, then let’s blame our unseen publicity shy puppet masters who feverishly operate behind a curtain of anonymity.

We’ve had almost 70 years of continuous peace since WW2 and all the while our world has been shaped into larger and larger market place. The quest for ever new markets, ever new oil fields, resources, farmlands and economic slaves masquerading as human beings has led to great global tensions and uncertainties.

What for?

Just so that a few indescribably wealthy people, no not the billionaires ones you often read about, but the rather publicity averse trillionaires that you don’t, can get even more obscenely wealthy?

Well, la di da!

What are the young to do?

What choice do they have?

Force fed through tightly regulated education systems that increasingly resemble merciless indoctrination centres, what else are they supposed to do.

Most of us spend the first 40 odd years of our lives running around the same hamster wheels forever chasing our tails totally unaware of the high stake money games being played out somewhere in a land far outside the eye of the both the media and all economic textbooks.

It’s hardly a surprise is it, that many young people only later in life realise that they most of what they were so carefully taught was a load of old deflective nonsense?

@3sa_uk 

Saitama? Glad someone noticed and excellent question. I’m pretty certain it would be this…

The young listeners don’t have the habit of listening to the old music. Technological advancement has made it easier for the listeners to stream the music they want to listen. The listeners have the option of listening to the playlist they like, rather than listening to the tracks of one album. The music industry is adopting the new technology and so the listeners are getting the music faster and for lesser price. So the competition is becoming tough in the music industry. It has been suggested that the record labels should be given the chance to make their choice of new music and then promote it, rather than playing the music randomly. So it is killing the new music, but there are other reasons too for it.  https://www.websiteee.com/buy-soundcloud-comments