Is dedicated PreAmp with Oppo 105 needed?

I think I've a decent HT setup but still feel there's something missing. I watch movies 70% & listen to music 30%.

Since Oppo provides pretty clean sound, wondering if upgrading to a dedicated PreAmp will make any difference. If it does, what would you recommend in say $1000-$2000 range? I intend to bypass the Video & connect straight to my Plasma on HDMI 1.4a.

Thank you!
----------
LRC Speakers: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II
Surround Speakers: JBL S312
Amplifier: Parasound Halo A51
BD:Oppo 105
Tape Deck: Nakamichi RX-505
Room: 16x18+ with some open area, so sound can bleed
hitsofmisses

Showing 19 responses by hitsofmisses

I want atleast 2 XLR i/p & preferably 5 XLR o/p if possible. I'm also open to used & refurbed.

I've been doing a bit of research on various forums. How is Classe 600 or Anthem D2? I've also heard good things about Onkyo PR-SC5508/09, Herron Audio VTSP-1, Integra DHC-80.3, Theta Casablanca, etc.

How do they compare to the NuForce AVP-18 & ModWright SWL 9.0 SE?
Hi Tim,

I do not have any preamp and exclusively use the Oppo 105 as a preamp.

Currently, the tape deck has been disconnected but I've lots of rare tapes that I would like to listen.

I was also thinking of the same but was not sure if PreAmp had any impact on the sound quality.

Thank you!
Kr4: You need to define your needs a little better.

I'm not sure what additional info I can provide. I need it for HT 5.1 setup with atleast 2 XLR i/p & preferably 5 XLR o/p.

Thank you!
kr4
I’m not sure what additional info I can provide. I need it for HT 5.1 setup with atleast 2 XLR i/p & preferably 5 XLR o/p.

I got that. What else do you want it to do?

Sorry, I think this is what you’re asking. :)

I use primarily for HT (75%) & 25% for Music that are heavy on vocals. I’m leaning more towards Tube based Pre-Amps since I like the warm soundstage. From all I’ve read so far, Oppo’s video processing is very good so I can bypass video on Pre-Amp & connect directly to my 1080P Plasma TV. 
d@kr4: Did I answer your question correctly.

Since the Parasound has 5 XLR inputs, do I need a preamp with all XLR output or an RCA would do?
And does it make a big difference if I connect Oppo via XLR/RCA combo than the HDMI for audio?
@ Kr4: "I got that. What else do you want it to do?"
I want to connect my Nakamichi Cassette Deck & want to enjoy a richer, warmer sound of Tube.

@ Willemj: Ripping the cassettes to NAS is an option but I’m keen on spending that much time. Besides, I love how the cassette assembly of RX-505 comes out & to see some moving gears.

I am willing to stretch my budget a little bit. 1.) How is Classe SSP-800 or something from McIntosh MX series or  Krell ( Showcase 7.1/  S-1200/ HTS) or Bel Canto (Pre6/ 2-3 units of DAC 2.7/ DAC 3), etc. whichever sounds better & can process relatively current Dolby & DTS format?

A Tube PreAmp driving all the HT channels will be cost prohibitive. 2.) Instead, can I just insert a Stereo Tube PreAmp driving the front two speakers & connect remaining directly to the Parasound A51?
3.) Or how about Modwright or other similar upgrade to Oppo 105?

Thank you guys!
5 months & no replies?

Anyways, I searched a lot for a decent multi-channel, audio-only preAmps. Apart from Classe (SSP-800, CT-SSP), Krell ( Foundation, S-1200, HTS) & a few McIntosh MX series, there are not many (desirable) options. However, there’s a lot of very good Stereo only preamps. And most have very positive feedback for Stereo only over multi-channel PreAmps.

Is there any way I can connect both, the Oppo 105 & Nakamichi RX-505 Cassette deck to the existing Halo A51 - 5 channel amplifier via Stereo only PreAmp to enjoy HT & Music both?

I might be overthinking here but I was wondering:
1.) On Oppo 105 can I use "XLR/ Stereo Out" >> to connect any Stereo PreAmp >> Parasound Halo A51 Amplifier & connect the remaining 3 channels (C & L/R Surround) directly to the Halo A51 (bypassing a PreAmp) to enable both Stereo & HT listening?
This way, I don’t have to buy another Amp for Stereo only and/or reach out in the back of the A51 to toggle "Input Select" switchm which is not convenient.

2.) Another option I was exploring was to connect Oppo via Toslink to a Multi-Channel PreAmp. But google search indicates that it does not have the bandwidth to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, or more than two channels of PCM audio.
@auxinxput: If I’m using S1200, I don’t need to use the Digital COAX. I can use the XLR/ RCA too, right? And wouldn’t that be better?
Do you recommend S1200 over other Classe & Krell Multi-channels preamps?
Do you know what type of capacitor will I need? Is it an easy switch? It’s been a while but I think I can do a bit of soldering.

@atmasphere: So basically, I will have to buy a preamp & a dedicated amp just to play the cassettes on RX-505 in Stereo only mode? Well, that sucks. In that case, it’s better to get the multi channel preamp. Hopefully, it won’t compromise the sound so much compared to Stereo Only.
Since I intend to pass Analog Audio (only) from XLR/ RCA (stereo & 7.1) of Oppo BDP-105 to Parasound Halo A51 amp via a preamp:

What you guys think of Parasound Halo C1, C2 or P7 preamp? I think they all have sufficient options for analog audio input & provides XLR output for the A51. 
Out of these 3, is there any model which will do a better job than another? 
I think with P7, you can not do room calibration using a mic. In that case wouldn’t a C1 or C2 would be a better option even though they are a bit outdated? 
Also, how do they compare to Krell S1200U? 

How does Krell S1200 compare to Denon AVP-A1HDCI preamp for Analog audio? That's one beefy preamp.
@ noble100: Thank you for your consideration & reaching out to help.

There are multiple reasons why I haven’t jumped yet: 1.) I’ve limited knowledge. I came across very few multi-channel analog audio PreAmps/ PrePros (online) and even lesser number of comparison reviews/ opinions. 2.) I had some financial difficulties due to job loss & other factors. And I do recognize my budget is limited for what I’m expecting to achieve 3.) I’m extremely picky & would like to do things right the first time.

From what I’ve read, the sound straight from Oppo 105 can be very digital or clinical. That’s why, I’m looking for a Tube or Tube like sounding Pre/Pros that is good for both Stereo & HT (multi-channel) listening.

Not sure how a 2-ch stereo preamp with a HT Bypass works. But ideally I should be able to connect Oppo’s Stereo XLR/ RCA for music & 5 out of 7.1 RCA Audio for movies to my Parasound A51. Regularly toggling the "Input Select" switch is not an option. https://www.parasound.com/a51.php
Based on @atmasphere & several others suggestion, I've dropped the idea of getting a HT PreAmp. 

For a while, I explored the idea of getting 60s & 70s Fisher Tube receiver/ amplifier. However, since I don't have experience troubleshooting (I can do soldering), I would not like to get stuck with a set of expensive, dead equipment that I cannot use. The repairs on this can go upwards of $500 + Parts + S/H. 

Instead, I'm thinking of spending extra upfront & getting a used tube Stereo PreAmp or an Integrated for around $3000. It will sit in-between the Oppo 105/ Nakamichi Cassette Deck & Parasound Halo A51 Amp. 

Based on all the positive reviews, Atma-Sphere would be my first preference. However, they're very hard to come by used & definitely haven't seen anything in my budget. Apart from that, I've also read positive reviews about PrimaLuna, VAC, Conrad-Johnson, Audio Research, McIntosh, Cary Audio, Stanely, etc. They all have some good & some products to avoid. 

Any recommendation on Brand or a specific model over others?
@atmasphere: I looked at both the sites & the price of their products. Don’t you think I’ll get more value for my money by getting a used VAC or CJ or ARC products then paying the same amount for a brand new product from them?

@tomcarr:  I don’t think Schiit products are in the same league. 
@junzhang10 : Don’t know much about “Sony ES TA-P9000ES 5 channel preamp” & how does it fare against modified “Krell S1200” or other Tube PreAmp. 
@kr4 : So then the only option is to get a Stereo PreAmp with HT Passthrough.

Hopefully, the fronts speakers won’t be terribly loud or will have a different sound signature. 
@noble100 : Thanks for the positive words of encouragement. But they’re quite far from reality. You can just call it my survival instincts. 😂

I know I’ll be entering years long war with series of battles & skirmishes with my wife at each conversation, get together, dinner, etc. when she realizes I spent another grand or a few on a piece of electronic equipment which she considers to be a ‘junk’.
I’m just thinking of those days (because I’ve this inner conviction that they’re definitely not far from coming), when I’ll be sitting in a corner licking my wounds, I don’t want to have any regrets about the decision I’ve made in my pursuit of achieving an elusive ‘Musical Nirvana’. In a way the delay is a representation of how long & tiring the war is going to be. 😂😂

The “good“ in “good quality stereo” is related to the risk you end up taking. But what’s the point of living if you’re not fighting for a just & noble cause. Sigh ...... 😂
Tim,

We’re pole apart. She does not enjoy either music or movies. In a year, she ‘might’ watch a movie or two & rarely listen to any music, even during long drives.

Whereas like my parents, I love singing. When I play a song, I get involved with the words & emotions & usually sing for hours to my heart’s content. 

When I was teen, my first job was to record audio cassettes from LPs & EPs. I worked on some of the best Amps, turntables, tape decks, etc. My manager admired how quickly I learnt the technique & could easily remember the entire lyrics, albums, location, etc. Their business grew 6-10 times (depending on the month) in a very short span. 

Anyways apologize if I digressed. The bottom line is, I know & can admire a good sound. However due to monetary & personal issues, I want to ensure I do it right the first time. 
I’ve shortlisted Atma-Sphere MP1 so far. Now I just need to be patient to find a good deal to come by. 
Another alternative would be a VAC preamp & preferably with HT Bypass.