Is Bob Weir Redefining State of the Art Recording?

Never heard better live recording or better studio for that matter.Anyone know who's behind the brilliance?
pwayland

Showing 3 responses by jsalerno277

As @bhvf explained, The Dead have always been obsessed produced recordings good sound, driven by  the obsessions of the Bear and others with the visually impressive Wall of Sound (JBL, EV, & MAC). However, there were recording limitations to their live productions.  To my ears, severe dynamic compression and lack of soundstage depth.  Colorado benefits from more modern recording techniques and is good from both an artistic and production perspective.   However, I hear the thickness of studio processing.  For state of the art live production look to, as some examples, Neil Young live at Massy Hall on Reprise or The Eagles Hell Freezes Over.  Better yet are folk-rock and jazz offerings form Stockfish Records, Proprious, Etc.  These labels are truly state of the art productions removing the vail of studio manipulation with micro dynamics, macro dynamics, clarity, detail, balance, and bass reproduction.   Try Katja Werker Contact Myself on Stockfish to hear state of the art live production.  Weir recording are all well above average productions but not state of the art.  

@bhvf 
Agreed. Katja is  overly polished; however, a different genera and recording venue.  The reference was provided simply as an example of what is technically feasible in live production.  The reference to Young is a better example for the genera and venue of the clarity possible when a live performance is not overly processed in the studio.  So let’s stay with Dead examples.  Wake Up to Find Out, while it has its own production issues is not as overly processed.  It has better high end extension, clarity, less grunge in spaces between instruments, and better imaging.  Colorado wins on dynamic contrast.  From an artistic perspective, simply compare Eyes of the World on both albums.  The solo runs on Colorado simply, sans Jerry may he rest, do not compare…and the electric exchanges between Branford and Jerry on Wake Up win 4.5 finders down.  I was at that concert.  I just think Colorado plays like a good studio recording facsimile of a Dead concert rather than other live recordings (Skull, Europe) available to my ears and old/burnt out memory.   With respect.  This is a subjective hobby.  To each our own ear-brain connection