Is an amp the next upgrade path for me? Advice...

Hi all, love the forum, long time fan, and a past purchaser of equipment from here.

My equipment prior to 3 weeks ago, were:
Axiom Audio M22Ti, Arcam a65plus integrated, Axiom EP 125 sub, Squeezebox touch, wiring/power all stock.

Recently purchased a set of PSB Imagine T towers to replace the m22.
Very happy with my decision, soundstage has really opened up!!

Of course, I am now limited to the volume I can play my music (I prefer 2 channel), and have noticed things falling apart a bit at higher volumes, mostly with the higher freq. output. The subwoofer I have at 50hz and below, and used mostly to add a lithe bit of "pop" to the electronica music I so much enjoy. Room size is smallish, say 12 feet b/w me and speakers, but will probably employing these in a larger space soon.

What should my next step up be? I'm interested in larger, more expansive soundstage. I want more "feeling" the music, with a bit more lower end. I want to try and improve the higher end "shrill" that I can get with higher volumes.

I AM NOT intersted in changing speakers, as I'm very happy with these towers.
I AM NOT interested in chancing cables, as I am just not completely sold on this upgrade path, at least, at the current level of equipment I have.

Would you recommend an outboard amp? Higher power Rotel or musical fidelity, for example? And how much power? ( I do want something that will last a long time, with further upgrades in speakers, and larger power req. in the future)
Would you recommend a change completely from the integrated to a much nicer integrated unit with higher output?
If I were to spend 1,000$ on a newer higher powered integrated vs 1000$ on a power amp, where would I see the MOST benefit.
Would you recommend a change the subwoofer either in addition to, or alone as a substantial upgrade?

I appreciate all your input! My budget is probably in the 1K range.

thanks all!
H
mrhdream
From your description, I would at least DOUBLE the power you have now, no less. And bass is the BIG user of power, too. So crank it up much at all and "poof" there goes your new headroom. Each 3 dB increase in SPL(about what most say is "louder") needs about twice the average power.

You don't really have enough money to buy a DAC for sound quality and an amplifier to get you out of your sonic ditch. Get the AMP pronto before you have a tweeter bill to keep that new DAC even farther away from purchase.
Thanks so much for the replies!
After plenty of research, and input from all of you, I decided that the AMP is really the first purchase I need to make. I do not want to under power my speakers and risk an issue down the road. Also, I liked the idea of going separate so that in the future I can mix and match. I loved the integrated for the system I have had, but future upgrades and changes would be difficult with a simple change to an integrated.

I have just purchased an Odyssey Stratos Extreme+ stereo amp, used here on audiogon, with what I think is a great price. Plus, talked to Klauss himself and seems like this would be a good match. Plus, a 20 year warranty is fantastic. This amp is near new, delivered in sep 2011, so is very up-to-date, and not even broken in yet! My hope is that this amp will be a foundation for years to come as I continue to expand.

I will let you all know how this amp turns out in my system!

Sadly, I have been spending exuberant amounts of time already looking at preamps. This hobby can be damaging to the psyche. lol
thanks again, and will update you all soon once the amp comes in.

take care
H
Hi everyone!

So I have been listening my new amp (Stratos Extreme SE w/ board upgrades, TS premium/cable upgrade, and WBT connectors) which I got for for an amazing price here on Audiogon.

What a difference!!!!

First of all, this amp is built like a tank, not some old Soviet era tank, but an Abrhams BUILT TO DESTROY type of tank :)

All joking aside, it really is a wonderful piece of equipment. I am not even able to put in my equipment rack, so it is sitting flat on the carpet.

AFter about a day of warmup, I gave it a listen.

The impact of the music was the most noticeable and immediate impact I felt. The music no longer felt so far in the distance, and veiled, instead it had punch, and a "you are right there" type of atmosphere.
I noticed a substantial improvement in the bass.

The soundstage is markedly improved. instruments are more distinctive now.
I had issue with these speakers originally because they did not "disappear" as well as I liked, but not anymore.

Voices are very crisp and almost too upfront compared to the prior amp.

Overall extremely happy with this purchase. I've been very lucky in that the components I have been adding have given noticeable improvements.

I did purchase some Blue Jeans cables for speakers, and interconnects. The build quality is great. I did not a/b the difference from my old monster cables, but then again, I'm not a huge proponent on expensive cable upgrades.

So next up, I have a PSB Subseries 500i in matching dark cherry coming soon, hoping to fill out the lower bass that I know will not be achieved without extremely expensive floor standers.

In the future, will work on DAC and Pre-Amp.
For now I'm happy, and just enjoy the music :)

Any comments/suggestions?
H